Pages

Tuesday, 4 August 2026

Book Review - The Midwife by the Sea by Jo Bartlett

 The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Amazon UK

Title: The Midwife By The Sea
Author: Jo Bartlett
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Boldwood Books
Publication Date: 4th August 2026
Rating: 5 Stars

When midwife Hope Masterson arrives in Cornwall to start her dream job by the sea, she’s ready for a fresh start and a chance to make a real difference to the lives of the women and babies she cares for.

Working between St Piran’s hospital and the community midwifery unit of Port Agnes, Hope quickly finds herself drawn into the lives of her patients and colleagues. From dramatic deliveries and joyous newborns to heartbreaking struggles with infertility, she is on hand to share in all the hopes, worries and incredible love that motherhood can bring.

But Hope is carrying a secret that could change everything – and she faces an impossible dilemma.

Should she reveal the truth and shatter the lives of those around her, or protect the fragile happiness of the family she’s only just found?

As friendships deepen, romance blooms and emotions run high, Hope must decide whether some secrets are better left untold… and what it truly means to belong.

A gorgeously heartfelt, uplifting and unputdownable story of love, family and the many different paths to motherhood, by Top Ten bestselling author Jo Bartlett.

It is becoming very apparent to me that Jo Bartlett and midwives go hand in hand, as this is now the start of her second series featuring them.  In fact this one is very much related and interlinked with both of the author's previous two series set in the Three Ports area of Cornwall. 

So we are treated to a whole host of familiar characters, if you are a regular reader of the author, including Gwen who I'm always happy to see pop up, while it can easily be read as a standalone. 

I loved getting to know our new main character Hope, who is working in the settings for both previous series, the community midwife unit and St Piran's hospital.  I loved being back at the community midwife unit, and this really was a book that felt instantly familiar to me. 

It was a truly enjoyable story, that I loved every moment of and couldn't read quick enough.  It was emotional in places, and Hope has some incredibly tricky decisions to make, and I really admired how much she cared for other people and not just for herself. 

I already can't wait to read more from these characters. 

Thank you to Boldwood Books and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 


No comments:

Post a Comment