Tuesday 14 July 2020

Book Review - Head Over Heels by Hannah Orenstein

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK

Title: Head Over Heels
Author: Hannah Orenstein
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Headline Eternal
Publication Date: 23rd June 2020
Rating: 5 Stars

The stakes have never been higher - but is it time to take a leap, and tumble into love?

After training her entire life to make the Olympic gymnastics team, a disastrous performance ended Avery Abrams' athletic career - for good. Seven years on, she's still lost and, reeling from a breakup with her football star boyfriend, returns to her Massachusetts hometown.

In need of a job, Avery agrees to help new coach, Ryan Nicholson, train Hallie, a promising young gymnast with Olympic aspirations, despite her worries about the memories it will evoke.

Back in the gym, she's surprised to find sparks flying with Ryan, and her long-buried love for her sport reemerging as she helps Hallie's talent shine. But when a shocking scandal breaks, it has shattering effects on the world of gymnastics, Avery and everyone around her.

But Avery is not going to let history repeat itself - she's ready to fight for those she loves - and win.

I was on the edge of my seat by the end of this, I was so invested in Hallie's journey to see if she would qualify for the Olympics, that I was practically cheering her on verbally in my garden! 

I'm a huge fan of sport, the Olympics and Gymnastics is always one of those sports I'll always happily make a point of watching when its on TV,  and I was more than aware of the real life version of the scandal that is fictionalised in this book surrounding female gymnasts. 

My normal expectation of going into a book published by Headline Eternal is of a big romance, possibly great sex scenes and a story that will capture my interest hopefully.  In this instance, yes there is romance, there is chemistry between Avery and Ryan but it was the story involving gymnastics that had me thinking about this book whenever I had to put it down. 

At 4am I was sorely tempted to just keep reading and forget about going to sleep, but then I realised I did have work the next day... but I was that glued to the book and it is rare that I think about forgoing sleep in favour of reading further. 

I loved seeing how Avery is finally able to overcome her own personal nightmare of an Olympic trials in order to coach young Hallie on the floor.  I loved the descriptions of the training and the various moves in the routines and could picture it in my mind. 

The amount of growth and development for Avery in this book is great to see, she really grows as a woman, and by the end without a doubt is a role model.    And Hallie is supremely talented and I loved seeing how her confidence grows and her routines develop. 

It is an eye opening read as to the realities of elite gymnastics, which rang true to my knowledge of the sport and had me hooked from the first to the last page. 

This may be the first book I've read by Hannah Orenstiein but it certainly won't be the last, and i already have her previous release on my kindle waiting for me. 

Thank you to Headline Eternal and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...