Thursday 10 September 2020

Book Review - The Other Passenger by Louise Candlish

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK
Title: The Other Passenger
Author: Louise Candlish
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley 
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Publication Date: 25th June 2020
Rating: 5 Stars

It all happens so quickly. One day you're living the dream, commuting to work by riverbus with your charismatic neighbour Kit in the seat beside you. The next, Kit hasn't turned up for the boat and his wife Melia has reported him missing.

When you get off at your stop, the police are waiting. Another passenger saw you and Kit arguing on the boat home the night before and the police say that you had a reason to want him dead. You protest. You and Kit are friends - ask Melia, she'll vouch for you. And who exactly is this other passenger pointing the finger? What do they know about your lives?

No, whatever danger followed you home last night, you are innocent, totally innocent.

Aren't you?

I did not see that coming, I did not see that coming at all.  I mean I should have expected complete brilliance by now by Louise Candlish, but I think this is even more brilliant than I would have anticipated. 

Although I feel it did start a bit slowly it is all so so relevant, and as I think back over the course of the story, it is just so clever. I never suspected the truth of the situation at all. 

And of the various commuter scenarios for London, commuting by river boat has never come to my attention before, probably because I don't live anywhere near close enough to the Thames.  

At one point we a given an incident that happened on the tube the year before involving Jamie, and it was described in such detail that I felt as though I was there, I've experience some of it on a tube before, and trust me you don't want to be on the Northern Line in any sort of British Heatwave in summer it is horrific! 

There was a moment where suddenly in the book that I knew I was finishing it in that sitting regardless of how much I had left, when everything was starting to come together, certain realisations were had by me the reader, and I just had to know just where it would all lead. 

This is simply another masterpiece from Louise Candlish who seems to be going from strength to strength with each book.  The characters and story is so plausible and I was drawn in and read most of it, in one sitting  in the garden on a rare day of sun! 

Thank you to Simon & Schuster and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...