Thursday 18 May 2023

Book Review - Better Off Wed by Portia MacIntosh

 The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Amazon UK

Title: Better Off Wed
Author: Portia MacIntosh
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Boldwood Books
Publication Date: 10th April 2023
Rating: 4 Stars


Save the date...!

Olivia can’t believe it when her boyfriend, Teddy, proposes out of the blue. She loves him (of course she does!) BUT it does seem sudden, especially when they don’t even live together yet…

There is only one place that Olivia has ever wanted to get married - a gorgeous venue on the Cornish coast, built by her grandfather. The problem is they only have one date available - and it's only a few weeks away! Olivia isn't so sure about rushing but Teddy jumps at the chance to be married within the month.

Thrown into a whirlwind of wedding planning, alarm bells start to ring for Olivia. Are they doing this for the right reasons? Why is Teddy in such a rush? And when he fails to help with any part of the preparations, Olivia must find help elsewhere, with unexpected results...

As the countdown begins, will the wedding go ahead? Or will Olivia find that her future happiness lies elsewhere...?

Don't miss bestseller Portia MacIntosh's

I always know I'm in for a good time with a Portia MacIntosh novel and this was no exception.  When you learn very early on that Olivia is a comedian, you know there are going to be jokes galore in this, with various levels of funny. 

I found though this story took a while to properly get into, and its only at the point where the action moves to Cornwall, for the wedding prep to start happening properly that I was fully engrossed in the action. 

However given all my favourite bits are far enough into the story that I wouldn't want to give spoilers for, this is going to be very tricky for me to review, as there are various things I'd love to comment on but given they aren't covered by the blurb, I daren't. 

Rest assured this isn't just the regular bride planning a wedding that may have doubts sort of a story, there is plenty of this author's trademark zaniness and hilarity, and extra things going on, to keep you thoroughly entertained. 

My favourite character is Hugo who is trying to help Olivia win a wedding photographer, and I loved all of their interactions, especially during the contest. 

I also enjoyed getting to know Olivia's family, and to a lesser extent her fiancée, Teddy, who I really didn't take to.  Some of her mum's comments are fabulous! 

This is one incredibly enjoyable story that had me smiling and another great example of this authors ability and comedy skills too. 

Thank you to Boldwood Books and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...