Tuesday 9 April 2024

Book Review - Winning At Life by Kathryn Wallace

 The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Amazon UK

Title: Winning At Life
Author: Kathryn Wallace
Format reviewed: Paperback
Source: Secret Santa Present
Publisher: Sphere
Publication Date: 6th February 2020
Rating: 5 Stars

Thank god for back to school at the end of the summer!

The kids are back at school after a long summer. Gemma and Becky can finally breathe a huge sigh of relief and reach for the gin bottle.

Except it seems that Becky is accidentally a little bit pregnant...

But that's not the first shock for the parents in the playground. Over the summer, part of their beloved Redcoats Primary has burned down. The school needs to raise thousands of pounds to stay open - and Gemma and Becky have been forced on to the fundraising committee (just to add to the millions of messages from their online parent groups).

In year that will see new babies for Becky, new schools and a whole new business for Gemma, can they keep their heads above water and find that they're #winningatlife?

I devoured this book, I literally couldn't read it fast enough. 

After all any book that starts with "Mum! Ava keeps showing me her vagina" as an opening sentence is definitely going to grab my attention and make me think the kids in this will be brilliant. 

And that was a fair assumption as Ava is totally amazing, I can't believe her logic and everything she comes out with and what she does over the course of her new school year. I actually felt sorry for her old brother Sam, who is having his own problems but it's harder to notice as Ava is a limelight grabber! 

I loved Gemma and Becky's friendship and their dynamics, as they juggle parenting,  new jobs (or roles at work), and being roped into the save our school fundraising campaign (which had a rather unfortunate acronym for it's real title). 

This is just a lot of fun, while being a realistic look at motherhood, and with Becky being pregnant again, her comments about pregnancy especially in ante-natal classes are classic, hilarious, almost certainly truthful and real, but not really the dynamic the group leader was going for! 

I had occasional sense of wonderings while I was reading this, as to whether that had been any other books, but it wasn't until I got to the back matter of the book that I knew for sure that this was actually a sequel.  Which I think just shows it totally reads well as a standalone. 

So many great one liners to make you giggle. 

This is just a whole lot of fun, that I absolutely adored reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...