Friday 28 April 2017

Book Review - Dead Souls by Angela Marsons - #AroundTheUKIn144Books #Worcestershire

Amazon UK
Title: Dead Souls
Author: Angela Marsons
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Bookouture
Publication Date: 28th April 2017
Rating: 5 Stars


The truth was dead and buried…until now.

When a collection of human bones is unearthed during a routine archaeological dig, a Black Country field suddenly becomes a complex crime scene for Detective Kim Stone.

As the bones are sorted, it becomes clear that the grave contains more than one victim. The bodies hint at unimaginable horror, bearing the markings of bullet holes and animal traps.

Forced to work alongside Detective Travis, with whom she shares a troubled past, Kim begins to uncover a dark secretive relationship between the families who own the land in which the bodies were found. 

But while Kim is immersed in one of the most complicated investigations she’s ever led, her team are caught up in a spate of sickening hate crimes. Kim is close to revealing the truth behind the murders, yet soon finds one of her own is in jeopardy - and the clock is ticking. Can she solve the case and save them from grave danger – before it’s too late?

An addictive, sinister crime thriller that will have readers on the edge of their seat.

If you are a fan of the DI Kim stone series then you need to buy and read this book now, it is just that amazing. If you have never read any before, either start here as its amazing, or go back to the beginning of the series, as all the books so far have been brilliant. ...

....

....Oh you're still here? Does that mean I need to tell you more than just that this is a gripping, unpredictable story that has such an immersive and scary and frankly sickening conclusion that I couldn't dare put it down? 

Actually the first bit of the book I was oddly unsettled by, unlike other books in the DI Kim Stone series, I wasn't instantly enamoured by it, and I think it was just as it took me a while to get used to fa few things.

Due to the location of where the first body during an archeological dig was found, on the border of two forces, Kim has to joint lead the investigation with Detective Travis and mainly using Detective Travis' team. This lead Bryant and Dawson partnering up on their own investigation, while Stacey tries to provide support while also really coming into her own as a character in this book. 

Due to the various storyline threads, and the occasional look at things from a non victim's point of view, the focus of each chapter was different so it just took me some time to get into the rhythm of the book. Once I fully understood and more importantly started to properly care about all the various investigations, I could have been more hooked if I tried. 

What I would love to know though, is what on earth goes through Angela Marsons head when she came up with the sheer disgustingness of the crimes involved. There is especially towards the end some of the most vivid writing I've read, and I was feeling slightly queasy as I was reading as a result. 

Dead Souls has done a lot for character progression for the series, with the new working challenges Kim and her normal team have to undergo. I loved seeing how various hunches of theirs turned out, and I was so interested in the book and hooked, especially as the pace was upped, I didn't even come up with any theories myself, I was content to sit back and enjoy the journey! 

Given I'm positive I said Blood Lines was my favourite in the series, I think this is now equal favourite but for different reasons. Dead Souls is a cleverly crafted book, which was unpredictable and completely absorbing. All that is left to say is please don't make me wait as long for the next installment, as I really hate waiting! 

Thank you so much to Netgalley and Bookouture for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily.

1 comment:

  1. Got it! How could I not after that review? Love it! Well done, Angela. Ta, Rachel! :) xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...