Tuesday 25 April 2017

Book Review - The Woman Who Met Her Match by Fiona Gibson

Amazon UK
Title:  The Woman Who Met Her Match
Author: Fiona Gibson
Format reviewed: Paperback
Source: Publisher supplied copy
Publisher: Avon
Publication Date: 20th April 2017
Rating: 3 Stars


What if your first love came back on the scene . . . 30 years later?

After yet another disaster, Lorrie is calling time on online dating. She might be single in her forties, but she’s got a good job, wonderful children and she’s happy. This, Lorrie decides, is going to have to be enough.

That is, until she receives a very unexpected request from France. Antoine Rousseau, who had once turned a lonely French exchange trip into a summer of romance, wants to see her – after thirty years.

But Lorrie is a responsible woman. She can’t exactly run off to Nice with the man who broke her teenage heart . . . can she?

The Woman Who Met Her Match was a good book, with a beautiful cover, that I found easy to read and was really enjoyable. However although I really did enjoy reading it, I am just slightly frustrated with it too and I can't completely put my finger on why. 

I suspect it could be because I'm still not completely sure which woman met her match, and if its the storyline I suspect, it just felt a bit flat, and not as engaging as I would have liked.  

I loved the idea of Lorrie's one that got away from thirty years ago suddenly getting in touch out of the blue, but I found I wasn't able to connect to the grown up version of him. 

The book starts with the prologue which is the romance between Lorrie and Antoine back in 1986, and I think that was one of my favourite bits of the book. I loved reading about Lorrie's first ever trip abroad as a 16 year old, and how her month i France panned out. It was a great way to the start the book. 

The other bit I really liked was Lorrie's best friend, Stu who is her lodger, and the company he has set up, Parsley Force, which is a motorbike delivery service, for when you have started to cook something but forgotten the key ingredients. He goes out, buy them from a shop en-route and delivers to you. Its such an ingenious idea, that I have to wonder if there is anything similar in real life. The small bits we hear about his work really interested me. 

On the whole I enjoyed The Woman Who Met Her Match, but I've much preferred other books by Fiona Gibson in the past. If you are new to this author I would recommend starting with The Woman Who Upped and Left and if you are a fan of the author, then I'm sure you will enjoy this too. 

Thank you to Avon for this copy of the book which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...