Sunday 24 September 2017

Fab Firsts - Q&A with Jason Hershey



Fab Firsts is my regular Sunday feature, that is going to be highlighting books that are firsts. When interviewing authors, it will be about their first book, as well as other firsts in their lives. When reviewing books for this feature, there will be a mix of debuts, first books in a series, the first time I read an author, and possibly other firsts depending on what I can think of!

If you are an author wanting to take part in Fab Firsts then please do email on gilbster at gmail dot com and I'll whizz the questions over to you.

I hope you enjoy this look at a variety of hopefully fabulous firsts, while making some sort of dent in my review and paperback TBRs which are my current main focus!

Introducing Jason Hershey, a debut author.

1) Can you tell us a bit about your first book? 

My book is entitled “To Die To Live” and it is about a teenager named Theo who has struggles assimilating to his new environment and the people around him. It takes the loss of a friend for him to discover his “spark” to live life and to attempt to reach his full potential.

2) What was your original inspiration to become a writer, and to write your debut? 

I have always dabbled in writing, yet this book sprang from a desire to reach my full potential. I took aspects of my life growing up, as well as friends and fiction, to create, I believe, a very relatable and real character that readers can instantly relate to.

3) How long did it take you to write your first book? 

The whole book, from concept to final editing took about three months. Most of it was the editing part as the story tended to write itself.

4) If you could do anything differently in retrospect, what would you change about your debut, or how you went about writing it? 

I can honestly say that I have enjoyed everything about writing, marketing, and distributing it. The one thing I would change, if I had to pick one, would be I wouldn’t wait so long to write it. I would of wrote it years ago.

5) Was your first book self or traditionally published, and how did you go about making that decision? 

This was my first book and I decided to self-publish it. I loved the fact that the books success, or failure, would be completely on me. I am responsible for everything that this book accomplishes. I wanted control over cover design, where it was released and the final product. Plus it was a lot of time to contact agents and stuff, when I could just be doing everything myself and getting it out to the public. 

6) Do you have any tips for other first time authors? 

Write, write, write. Write your stories, your poems and your songs. Get them down on paper and watch them grow. Treat them like your children and nurture it. You will absolutely be surprised how it ends up.

Tell us about your first…

7) Book you bought
To Kill a Mockingbird, one of the best stories ever

8) Album you purchased

My first album was Michael Jackson, Off The Wall. Great album from an extraordinary artist.

9) Sport you enjoyed participating in

soccer. I came home in third grade and told my dad I wanted to play and he was not on board. With come coxing from my mother, he reluctantly signed me up and before you know it he was a coach for over 15 years.


10) ..choice of alternative career if you weren’t an author

I’m a teacher now, so that is my fall back option if this writing thing doesn’t work out.

11
) …toy that you recall loving
Growing up I loved my G.I. Joe characters and all the vehicles that came along with it. Nothing fancy like now, simple and imaginative.


12) … time you realised you were good at something
When I received my first college scholarship to play football. That’s when it dawned on me that I might be good at that sport.


13) … time you were really scared

The theme music to “Unsolved Mysteries” always scared the beejeezies out of me growing up. I hate that music to this day.


About Jason Hershey

I have been a teacher for over 10 years, teaching everything from early childhood to high school. I have a Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education from Bethel College in North Newton, Kansas, where I also played football. I am originally from Phoenix, Arizona and currently reside in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio with my family. This is my first book.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...