Wednesday 3 January 2018

Book Review - The Single Girl's Calendar by Erin Green

Amazon UK
Title: The Single Girl's Calendar
Author: Erin Green
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Aria
Publication Date: 1st January 2018
Rating: 4 Stars


A task a day to cure a broken heart.

Esmé Peel is approaching thirty with some trepidation, but hope in her heart. If she can just get her long-term boyfriend Andrew to propose, she will have ticked everything off her 'things to do by the time you're 30' list. She didn't reckon on finding another woman's earring in her bed however, and soon she finds herself single, homeless and in need of a new plan. Her best friend Carys gives her the perfect present – The Single Girl’s Calendar – which has a different cure for heartbreak every day: 

Day 1: Look and feel fabulous with a new hair style. 

Day 2: Step out of your comfort zone and try something new. 

Day 3: Reconnect with friends and enjoy!

Despite thinking it's a bit of a gimmick, Esmé hasn't got any better ideas, so she puts the plan into action. By the end of week one she has four new male housemates, and despite a broken heart she is determined to show Andrew she can do more than survive, she can thrive.

I really enjoyed The Single Girl's Calendar, and it was the first book I have read by Erin Green. It is quite funny in places, and heart wrenching in others, in ways you wouldn't predict as you first start to read the book. 

I loved the concept of the Single Girl's Calendar, a task a day style calendar to help you get over a break up and its exactly what Esme needs after she discovers her boyfriend of 7 years has been cheating on her.  Within a couple of days she has change significant parts of her life much to the bemusement of her friends and family. 

Unfortunately I really disliked Esme at times, she just grated on my nerves a bit, and frankly I agreed with her new house mate Asa's assessment of her character. She doesn't seem to be capable of thinking for herself half the time.  Whereas Asa well he is fabulous, I really took to him early on and then when you learn more about him, well I think I fell a bit in love myself. 

There are assorted secrets involving all of the housemates in Esme's new flatshare, and just why is her brother hanging around the whole time. I loved the sibling banter though between Esme and Kane. 

With 4 male housemates, 2 female colleagues, a best friend, a brother, an ex-boyfriend and a next door neighbour all vying for space in the book, I found it was a bit slow at times, while trying to get them all straight in my head, and even after that although I really enjoyed the book, I can't put my finger on it, but the best I can say is it was missing the x-factor! 

This is the first book I've read published in 2018, and its certainly an encouraging start to a year of new releases ahead, and I'd certainly look at other books by the author. 

Thank you to Netgalley and Aria for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this cool review I love to read books and this book really appears so cool. I will eBooks Download online and read this book.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...