Friday 7 December 2018

Book Review - It's A Wonderful Night by Jaimie Admans

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK
Title: It's A Wonderful Night
Author: Jaimie Admans
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: HQ Digital
Publication Date: 5th October 2018
Rating: 5 Stars


One night will change their lives forever…
Georgia Bailey is closing up her little charity shop in Oakbarrow when she gets a mysterious late night call from a stranger, threatening to jump off the town’s bridge.

Something about the man’s voice is faintly familiar but all she can do is stay on the line and after talking for hours, losing sense of time passing, coax him back from the edge.

The next morning, Georgia walks to work, buys a festive latte from Leo (who she’s had a crush on for months!) at the local coffee shop, and is shocked when she suddenly recognizes the voice from last night…

A heartwarming festive love story that reminds us that even in the darkest of times, hope is always just around the corner!

I had been saving this book for a while, to read when I hopefully had enough time to savour every moment, as I had an inkling between the blurb and the author that it would be something special. 

It is more than something special and needs to take pride of place in anyone's festive book collection, or in fact any bookshelf at all. 

I have laughed and I have almost cried during the reading of this story - it really gave me all the feels and I was hooked on Georgia and Leo's story.   

There are so many strong themes running through this book, mental health, the decline of the high street, nostalgia for Christmas's past,  and the film It's A Wonderful Life to name a few.  And between them all these story elements combine into a simply wonderful story. 

The plot is incredible, it has everything you could want from a book set in December in the run up to Christmas. I loved how although there is a massive lie at the heart of the book it is there for all the right reasons, but equally could blow up in Georgia’s face completely.

There are some completely light hearted moments, the suggestions from Leo about Santa for their big project are hilarious,  as were some of their conversations. But other times there was a more sensitive serious tone to the book which just drew me in further.

And the descriptions, well they are fabulous.  There is a scene in Hawthorns where I could picture every last thing so, so clearly and the best way I can describe it was like I was reading a description of Mr Magorium’s Wonder Emporium – I got the exact same feeling from both of those!

It’s a Wonderful Night is without a doubt one of my favourite books of the year, and I would recommend it to just about everyone.  It is just that good!

Thank you to Netgalley and HQ Digital for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...