Thursday 14 February 2019

Book Review - The Undercover Mother by Emma Robinson

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK
Title:  The Undercover Mother
Author: Emma Robinson
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Bookouture
Publication Date: 20th March 2018
Rating: 5 Stars


Jenny has too much on her plate: literally – she’s only expecting one child but she’s eating for at least three. Not to mention trying to juggle her nightmare boss, a know-it-all sister, and an infuriatingly laid-back husband. 

She used to be known for her ‘Single Girl About Town’ column. But when her boss gives her job to a younger colleague, Jenny panics and proposes she blogs instead about being a clueless new mum. Surely people will find her new friendship group fascinating? (Even if the only thing they seem to have in common is that they all had sex around the same time 9 months ago...)

And if her readers aren’t quite hooked yet, maybe Jenny will just have to be more liberal with the truth. After all, none of the other mums will read it… will they? 

The Undercover Mother is a hilarious parenting page-turner that will make you laugh, cry and want to crack open the gin. Perfect for fans of Why Mummy Drinks and The Bad Mother’s Diary. 

What an amusing look at motherhood. From early on I was really enjoying this story, and seeing just how the group that met at ante natal classes would get on together. 

Well I ended up very surprised as some of the outcomes, and semi predicted some of the others,. 

Jenny is a fabulous main character, completely unprepared for what will happen to her life once she has her baby, She is convinced she can continue working  on her column that she perhaps had already outgrown, and that it would be easy being in charge of a helpless little thing that doesn't do much! 

I must say the chapters with Jenny giving birth, have completely reassured me that my decision to not ever give birth to anything is completely correct. That is not for me at all.  Apart from those horrifying scenes the book is on the whole a light hearted look at the nitty gritty of parent hood, 

Jenny gives it an amusing slant in her Undercover Mother blog, and each chapter starts with a snippet from a blog post which was a nice touch. 

I was entertained getting to know Jenny's new friends, as well as seeing the vastly different attitudes of each of them towards parenting, as well as her old colleagues.  

Its a really fun book, that I'm really glad I finally loaded up on my kindle after a year to read, and I find myself frustrated that I haven't read Emma Robinson's other books yet either, which is something I should correct. For if this is a debut and I loved it, I have to see what else she has written since. 

Many thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...