Friday 27 September 2019

Book Review - They Call Me The Cat Lady by Amy Miller

Amazon UK
The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Title: They Call Me The Cat Lady
Author: Amy Miller
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley 
Publisher: Bookouture
Publication Date: 26th April 2019
Rating: 4 Stars


You’ve seen me on the street. You’ve walked past my house, and pointed, and wondered. The cat lady. All on my own, with only my five cats to keep me company. Did no-one ever tell you that you can’t judge a book by its cover?

Everyone in town knows Nancy Jones. She loves her cats. She loves her tumbledown house by the sea. She loves her job in the local school where she tries to help the children who need help the most. Nancy tries hard not to think about her past loves and where those led her…

Nancy never shares her secrets – because some doors are better kept locked. But one day she accepts a cat-sitting request from a local woman, and at the woman’s house, Nancy sees a photograph, in a bright-red frame. A photograph that opens the door to her painful past…

Soon Nancy doesn’t know what frightens her the most: letting her story out, or letting the rest of the world in. It’s impossible to find companionship without the risk of losing it. But can Nancy take that risk again?

A heart-wrenching and heart-warming story of love lost and found, and of second chances, They Call Me the Cat Lady is perfect for fans of A Man Called Ove and Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine.

Not sure how but I managed to read this in a couple of short hours,  I just couldn't put it down, nor was I particularly aware of the outside world while I was reading it. 

Although I had read a few of Amy Millers books years ago when she was writing as Amy Bratley, I haven't read one for ages, but apparently the author is as absorbing as ever for me. I love her writing style and ability to tell a story. 

That being said I had no idea what to expect from this book, and I loved getting to know Nancy Jones, who is a bit of a lost soul, but has a heart of gold. 

She is many years on still recovering from a tragic accident, and it's lead to her leading a life that outsiders may see as odd. 

But as the book progresses you see her starting to heal, and open up her life a lot more.   The little boy she tries to help really got under my skin, and I also enjoyed the descriptions of her cats. 

It really is a lovely heartwarming story, that was a pleasure to spend a sunny afternoon reading.  

Thank you to Bookouture on Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...