Thursday 9 January 2020

Book Review - A Season in the Snow by Isla Gordon

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Title: A Season in the Snow
Author: Isla Gordon
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Sphere
Publication Date: 28th November 2019
Rating: 5 Stars

Escape to the mountains this Christmas...

Alice Bright loves her life. She has a job she adores, a devoted family, and friends she'd lay down her life for.

So when tragedy strikes, bringing with it Bear - a rapidly-growing puppy in need of a home - it turns Alice's whole world upside down. She retreats inside her flat, and inside herself, with only her new companion for company.

But one-bedroom London flats aren't made for mountain dogs, and so Alice lets Bear push her out of her comfort zone to his homeland: the mountains of Switzerland. Could a change of scene in snowy serenity be just the thing to help Alice fall in love with life again?

I love, love, LOVED this book.   I chose to read it purely because I have read most of Lisa Dickenson's books so when I saw she had a new pen name, and the gorgeousness of the cover, well I knew I had to read it. 

To say I hadn't read the blurb at all may not surprise you, so I literally had no idea what to expect and the opening  section around 15-20% that I read on a tube journey, had me both smiling but also on the verge of tears. 

I really felt for Alice and what she was going through and was completely hooked on seeing how everything would pan out. 

Given how little I knew going into this, I would suggest it really is a book best read without any real advance info, it is so well written you will be drawn into the lives of the characters until you are gutted that you have finished the book. 

Bear is without a doubt my favourite character, he was loving, so lost at one point, and utterly adorable, like a big fluffy teddy bear, but far more personality and just was a complete scene stealer the whole time.   And the way Bear comes into Alice's life is just so emotional but also felt kind of right. 

And Switzerland, what a stunning setting for the majority of the book, I felt as though I was there alongside Alice and the new friends she is gradually making. The scenery was idyllic, and everything they do there just felt so real and well thought out. 

Although Christmas does have a small mention in the book this is not what I'd call a festive book, more a beautiful heartwarming story that is perfect to read all year around, or whenever you just want to curl up and lose yourself into a great book.  

I really hope this isn't the last we see of these characters, even if the focus of another book is a different person from the friendship group.  I really want and need more of all of these wonderful people. 

A truly fabulous book, that I am so happy that I had the chance to read. 

Thank you to Netgalley and Sphere for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...