Thursday 5 May 2022

Book Review - M Is for Mummy by Katy Cox

 The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Amazon UK

Title: M is for Mummy
Author: Katy Cox
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Corvus
Publication Date: 5th May 2022
Rating: 5 Stars

Your family doesn't fit the mould. So what?

Lucy had it all: an exciting career, a rock-star husband, great friends, a size ten waist and pelvic floor muscles that could crack a walnut. And then, she had kids.

Since giving birth to her second child, Lucy's life is totally unrecognisable. A 'flab-alanche' hangs over the top of her jeans, the romance in her marriage is officially dead and so is the career it took her years to build. Instead of playing the cello behind superstars at packed-out arenas, Lucy now spends most days mopping up broccoli vomit whilst listening to her four-year-old recite tedious facts about the gall bladder.

M is for Mummy is a frank and funny story about a unique family who don't quite fit in to any mould in society, and about a mother doing everything she can to help her extraordinary son find his place in an ordinary world.

From the second I discovered this book existed, I had a feeling I was going to love it, and I wasn't wrong, although love isn't a strong enough word - it's a wonderful book. 

I always enjoy reading books featuring young families and seeing how they cope and within the first few pages I was laughing with that opening, and then as we meet Stan, I found him incredibly endearing to start and very loveable.

In fact I'm really really hoping this may be the start of a series, because I already need another fix of Stan, and I love baby Jack too, and seeing just what may happen next with Lucy and Ed.  I enjoyed seeing their ups and downs, and also the various situations Lucy gets herself into.

There is a lot of humour to be had with this book, as well as a heart meltingly perfect finale that was unexpected in its nature but just worked for the characters. 

It is also though a look at parenthood when one of your children  is clearly a bit different from the average child. It was fairly obvious to me what the diagnosis would be for Stan, but he is just a loveable boy, and Lucy is doing her best to understand him, that he really is just Stanley. 

From having worked with some children a bit like Stanley I get the feeling that this is rather authentic, and all the concerns Lucy expresses are realistic and valid.  I find all of this made them very relatable too, and something that parents will especially enjoy reading, as I suspect they will see elements of their own experiences reflected in this. 

This is one rather special family that has wormed its way into my heart, and I really want more from them, A very entertaining debut novel, from an author I will certainly be keen to read more from. 

Thank you to Corvus and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 



1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! I'm so touched by your lovely words. Thanks SO much!! Means the world to me xxx🥰

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...