Monday 13 November 2023

Book Review - The Blackout by Sarah Goodwin

 The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Amazon UK

Title: The Blackout
Author: Sarah Goodwin
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Avon
Publication Date: 31st August 2023
Rating: 5 Stars

You can't outrun the past…

Summer, 2022. When Meg and Cat are forced to take a dangerous shortcut home one night, they notice two men silently following them. Suddenly running for their lives, they scramble into an abandoned building to hide and wait for help.

…for what’s done in the dark will come to light…

One year later. Attempting to escape the horrors of that fateful night, Meg barricades herself into a safehouse at the edge of a crumbling sea cliff. As a storm rages outside, a blackout plunges the house into darkness. But Meg’s not alone.

…and someone wants revenge.

This is a twisty locked-room thriller for fans of Sarah Pearse, Lucy Foley and Jane Harper that will leave you breathless.

Wow what did I just read? I mean I devoured this in about 3 sittings, the first of which I wasn't completely convinced, but the second it got going, I was reading for longer and longer without a care in the world of what I probably should have been doing. 

This was claustrophobic, it was addictive, it has twists that I didn't see coming, and it has a flawed main character that I seemed to have sympathy for, even after various secrets were revealed, which didn't show her in a flattering light. 

I think this may be the third book I've now read from Sarah Goodwin and I have to say in all cases I've been totally amazed and she is now becoming an auto read author for me.  I'm loving the various plots she is coming up with, and this one has left me open mouthed in shock. 

There are though details in this book that could trigger you, if you have experienced them yourself, as horrific things and view points are detailed very clearly. 

Meg and Cat's initial story is a situation that will unfortunately be familiar to many women, although not with the same outcome I hope, and it's this sense of realness and grit that can be found throughout the book. 

All times there is a sense of possible danger, and darkness, and the lengths Meg has gone to to try to protect herself are rather shocking but understandable. 

I was totally hooked on this, and just wow! 

Thank you to Avon and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...