Saturday 23 March 2024

Book Review - The Holiday by John Nicholl

 The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Amazon UK

Title: The Holiday
Author: John Nicholl
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Boldwood Books
Publication Date: 22nd February 2024
Rating: 3 Stars

It was meant to be the perfect getaway…
As I board the plane, all I can feel is hope and excitement. One whole week away. Just me and the man I have promised to be with forever.

Time to repair what has been broken. Maybe even try for another baby, and pray that this time it doesn’t end heartbreakingly.

I just need to not think about what George has done. He’s my husband. And this is the holiday where we make things right.

But then I realise he can’t take his eyes off the beautiful woman who’s just boarded the plane in front of me…

In that moment, everything changes.

And nobody is safe.

A gripping, twisty, breathtaking psychological thriller that will keep you reading late into the night. If you loved The Housemaid, The Girl on the Train and The Couple at No.9, you’ll be addicted to The Holiday.

I'm really not sure what I just read. 

It didn't feel like a psychological thriller which is what it's meant to be, and I didn't find it particularly addictive. 

The two main characters I personally wanted to do significant amounts of damage too within the first couple of chapters, and that feeling didn't particularly change over the course of the book.  They were one dimensional, money obsessed and I think I kept reading in part because it was a quick and easy book to read, and in part to see if either Suzie or George had any redeeming qualities. 

I was shocked to discover they were only in their twenties, I was convinced they were middle aged at the very least, especially with George's misogynistic tendencies and internal rants.  On the other hand he did sound incredibly mistakenly entitled which is definitely a younger person's thoughts. 

Suzie on the other hand is a weak willed woman, who has recently won a very large sum of money, and she is incredibly religious, and will only do what her father tells her to do, including with regards matters of her marriage and her money. I'm never comfortable with large amounts of faith mentioned, and there was far too much of it. 

There is a minor sub-plot involving I'll say a rogue priest and I'm putting it mildly and some of other opinions towards him were beyond my comprehension.  Having not read this author before I have no idea whether this mirrors his personal thoughts on some of the topics, or it really was just his characters speaking. 

What attracted me to this book initially was the cover, title and the fact that I absolutely love this growing trend  psychological thrillers set on holiday or holiday destinations.  But frankly the section in Tenerife could have been anywhere and wasn't remotely recognisable to me as Tenerife (although admittedly based on the transfer time, they were staying at the other end of the island to where my sister lives). 

By the time the conclusion came around, I wasn't remotely surprised about it, however there were a couple of chapters in the story including the police - and I much preferred the writing of those chapters, but they were so fleeting.  The plot once it ramped up felt so flimsy, and just lacked any depth. 

I didn't hate this book by any stretch, but I do think from what I've seen of other reviews, as well as my own thoughts that this is definitely a marmite sort of a book.  You will either love it or hate it,  And if you love completely vile main characters this could be a good fit for you.   

I was a quick read and if you are looking for something that you can whizz through in an afternoon by the pool then this might hit the spot.  Or if you are curious like I was as to just how horrible these main characters are, and how awfully they think of each other and treat each other, then please do give it a try! 

Thank you to Boldwood Books and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...