Thursday 14 June 2018

Guest Post - Jennifer Gilmour's Thoughts on Brazil - Bookish World Cup - Brazil




I’m delighted to be here on Rachel’s blog today as it’s the first time in appearing and for such a sporting event. I know my husband would have not been happy if I didn’t take the opportunity to get involved as he is such a lover of sports, especially football. When choosing a country England was already taken which is my home country and place my books are published and set in. It meant I had to do a bit of research and I came to the decision of Brazil and not just because they are the five time record holders of the World Cup but because of a few other factors;

1.      My husbands favourite player is Roberto Firmino is a Brazillian football player who plays for my husbands team Liverpool FC. My husband describes him as hardworking, selfless and underrated.
2.      Another impressive factor for a Brazillian player was Philippe Coutinho who is the third-most expensive association football transfer at £150 million from Liverpool to Barcelona in 2018.
3.      I have always wanted to visit Christ the Redeemer from when I learnt about it when I was younger. One of the 7 wonders of the world but a cultural icon to Brazil that is also a symbol of Christianity across the world.

Thinking on from Christ the Redeemer and the symbol it brings to Christianity. I have used a dove on the cover of Clipped Wings (my second publication), a dove is also a symbol used in the Christian setting and also for peace all over the world.

I chose a dove’s wings specifically because it represents peace and because of the grace it brings in flight, its beauty that people often look at and use for many different celebrations and occasions.

If you look closely at the cover it has a lot of depth and you will see bars to represent a cage. The dark messy background representing the mess and disruption of being imprisoned.

Clipped Wings brings together a group of survivors who have written, or been interviewed, about their own experiences. These accounts – in their own words – show that survivors do have a voice and that it needs to be heard. They show that abuse isn’t unique or strange but that it is, in fact, a surprisingly common problem in today’s society. With their help, we can reach out to educate people about this insidious behaviour.
It is unacceptable, unwarranted, and brings misery and disharmony to so many.

I want to share with you the quote I created for Clipped Wings;

‘Our wings were clipped, our restrictions were made, our boundaries were tested but now we are free, aren’t we?
We look above in the sky at the birds and hope to be free. But the birds make their nests in the trees high above, to protect themselves from predators. Free birds must keep looking over their shoulders the same way all of us have to.’


©Jennifer Gilmour

Thank you to Rachel for allowing me to share my thoughts and make a connection like this, I thoroughly enjoyed creating this blog post.

Good Luck Brazil ;)

You are very welcome Jennifer and thank you for kicking off my Bookish World Cup and with mentions of players from Liverpool who I am a massive fan of.  Of course I do have to say C'mon Eng-er-land! 

Author Bio

Born in Yorkshire in the UK, I am a young, married mum with three children.  I am an entrepreneur, running a family business from my home-base and I have a large readership of other young mums in business for my blog posts.

From an early age I have had a passion for writing and have been gathering ideas and plot lines from my teenage years.  A passionate advocate for women in abusive relationships, I have amalgamated and fictionalised other survivors experiences alongside my own to write my first novel detailing the journey of a young woman from the despair of an emotionally abusive and unhappy marriage to develop the confidence to challenge and change her life and to love again.  I hope that in reading my first publication- Isolation Junction, I will raise awareness of this often hidden and unseen behaviour and empower women in abusive relationships to seek help for themselves and find the confidence to change their lives.

Book Info Etc:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...