Friday 19 October 2018

Book Review - Fatal Promise by Angela Marsons

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK
Title: Fatal Promise
Author: Angela Marsons
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Bookouture
Publication Date: 19th October 2018
Rating: 5 Stars

Eeeny meeny, miney, moe. Who lives, who dies only I know.

When the body of a doctor is discovered brutally murdered in local woodland, Detective Kim Stone is shocked to discover the victim is Gordon Cordell – a man linked to a previous case she worked on involving the death of a young school girl. Gordon has a chequered past, but who would want him dead?

As the investigation gets underway, Gordon’s son is involved in a horrific car crash which leaves him fighting for his life. Kim's sure this was no accident. 

Then the body of a woman is found dead in suspicious circumstances and Kim makes a disturbing link between the victims and Russells Hall Hospital. The same hospital where Gordon worked.

With Kim and her team still grieving the loss of one of their own, they’re at their weakest and facing one of the most dangerous serial killers they’ve ever encountered. Everything is on the line. Can Kim keep her squad together and find the killer before he claims his next victim?

The killer is picking off his victims at a terrifying pace, and he’s not finished yet. 

After a shocking ending to the previous book, I had no idea what to expect from this one. Thankfully it is still as fabulous as the rest of them but at the same time, I think this may be the best book to start the series with if you didn't want to catch up on the 8 previous books. 

I say this because it feels as though dynamics are changing forever, there is more insight into D.I. Kim Stone than ever before and everything is changing regarding the dynamics of her team. 

But at the same time this is such a direct continuation just six weeks on from where the last book ended and the main murder victim being investigated was involved in the case in the previous book. 

One thing that surprised me with Fatal Promise was I noticed myself laughing out lout a few times, which is unusual for a thriller, but some one liners just struck me as being quite funny. 

The police work was as always top notch but it was Stacey's investigation that had me really interested, and although I did suspect one aspect of it, the rest was a complete mystery to me until it was revealed.  I think its because I felt more for the person she was looking for than for the any of the victims in Kim's case. 

At any point I had to put the book down, I felt a wrench as I wanted to keep reading it, I was completely hooked on it, and just wanted to see what direction it would take us in next. 

Despite really enjoying it it isn't my favourite in the series although I'd be hard pressed to name a specific book, but thought this was an excellent book in regrouping, and I'm still upset with that ending of the previous book,  and know that a good amount of ground work has been put in, reading the police officers and their team to build on for the next book.  

Bring on D.I. Kim Stone book 10  it can't come soon enough! 

Thank you to Netgalley and Bookouture for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...