Tuesday 9 October 2018

Book Review - One Winter's Day by Laura Briggs

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK
Title: One Winter's Day
Author: Laura Briggs
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Bookouture
Publication Date: 9th October 2018
Rating: 3 Stars


Spontaneous kisses, love at first sight, unpredictable sparks — the dreams of the hopeless romantic at heart. These things just didn't have a place in Ama’s world…

Ama’s been baking ever since she can remember. Desserts, cakes, cookies – anything sweet, delicious and sinful. 

Secretly she yearns for a different sort of passion in life though. And as she starts work on the biggest cake she has ever made – for a couple’s magical winter wedding – she realises just how much she too dreams of falling in love. 

But when Ama meets a motorcycle-riding bad boy who sets her pulse racing, she knows it can never be, because he’s her very traditional parents’ worst nightmare… 

Do her family know best? Or can she trust her heart? And, as the snow begins to fall, will she ever find out what really does go into the recipe for true love?

I had been really looking forward to this book since finishing One Day Like This which was the first to feature the Wedding Belles. 

It was wonderful to be back with Ama, Natalie and Tessa and not to mention their unofficial fourth partner Blake, with a new wedding to plan, and more insights into their lives. 

In the previous book I was sure that Tessa was the main character for at least that book, but this time all three felt far more on an even footing but I couldn't help but want to see more from Ama, as she is from a different culture, it was interesting to see how East meets West with regards dating. 

I am incredibly eager to see how Ama's story progresses in the next book, as I think she is great, plus she makes all the lovely food! 

The Belles this time are organising a wedding in a relatively short time frame for Nadia and Lyle, and I really felt for the Belles and Nadia as the plans progressed, for the warring mothers are as different as chalk and cheese and had differing opinions on everything. 

One wanted a classy wedding, one wanted glitz, glitter, big and bold, yet the bride wanted something inspired by Frozen.   As I was reading I was continually wondering who the first to snap would be. 

For a book filled with a wedding, three ladies and some prospective romances, there was a distinct lack of romantic action in this book.  In fact the overall impression i have of this book is that is building character progression for a future installment, but for me it was missing those certain qualities that make me really smile and enthuse about a book. 

Don't' get me wrong I did like the story, I just didn't love it.   I may just be frustrated as I have read books from the author that I have enjoyed significantly more in the past - but regardless I have every intention of reading the next in the series, I need to know what happens next to Tessa, Natalie and Ama. 

Thank you to Netgalley and Bookouture for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...