Saturday 3 November 2018

Book Review - Toxic by Jacqui Rose

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK
Title: Toxic
Author: Jacqui Rose
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Avon
Publication Date: 14th June 2018
Rating: 5 Stars


Sometimes love is toxic…
Bree Dwyer is desperate to escape her husband, take the children and run. But he’s always watching. And she always gets caught. Until her first love, Alfie Jennings, returns to Essex…

Gangsters Alfie and Vaughn have been out of the game for a while, but a life of crime is one you never forget.

To get back on top they need serious money, because loyalty and power don’t come for free. One dangerous job and they’ll have the payoff they need. And Alfie isn’t going to let anyone get in the way, least of all a pretty face like Bree.

It’s time to show Essex what they’re made of. And this time, Alfie and Vaughn aren’t backing down.

My adrenaline is pumping, and I'm sitting here utterly enthralled with how this book ended.  I'm normally one that stays away from  gangsters, as they really aren't my thing, but this particular group of lowlifes didn't half cause some drama. 

When I wasn't reading Toxic, my mind was on it, until I ended up curling up with most of the second half of the book to read and couldn't tear myself away. 

Yet for all of its compulsiveness, I only having read it just about know who all the characters are and how they were properly connected. On the whole I hated them all and Bree, well I felt a bit sorry for her, but still wasn't that keen on her.  

Normally I hate books where I don't like the characters but I can't put my finger on it but something kept me reading, and I had to know how it finished.    This is one fast paced book which is certainly what helped hold my interest with relatively short chapters, meaning I kept thinking, well one more chapter won't hurt!! 

There are many many characters in this and being from Essex gangland culture they are all intertwined, all know of each other, but no one really trusts anyone.   

From just how its been making me feel I can tell that Jacqui Rose is clearly a fabulous writer, anyone that grips me like this and has me riled up, has definitely got under my skin.  I just hope I don't have a sleepless night now as a result of all the violence in the book. 

I would love for there to be another book featuring these characters, as I can't help but feel their stories could go on for quite a while.  

Thank you to Avon and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...