Thursday 1 November 2018

Book Review - Winter Without You by Beth Good

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK
Title: Winter Without You
Author: Beth Good
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Quercus
Publication Date: 1st November 2018
Rating: 5 Stars

What do you do when you lose everything?

After the tragic death of her boyfriend, Hannah Clitheroe is hiding away from the world. But when she discovers she's inherited a house in Cornwall, she knows it's time to face reality.

Her estranged grandmother lived in Kernow House for years, but Hannah soon realises someone else thinks it's rightfully theirs: Raphael Tregar, a difficult man who quickly gets under her skin.

But as winter sets in, there's one more thing that keeps her up at night, and the rising fear that she may not find her true home in Cornwall after all...

For a couple of years now I have been hoping that Beth Good would write a full length book, given how much I love her short novellas.  And now that I have read Winter Without You, I'm delighted to say how much I adored this book. 

This really is a warm hug of a book, perfect for those cold winter days, it is heartwarming, funny in places, with hints of romance, and just an all around fabulous story about Hannah and her new Cornish inheritance. 

Add in a mix of animals, one shepherd who has a bad reputation, the local rabbit catcher, and a couple of other strays that Hannah allows to stay with her, she is starting to turn Kernow House into a real hope.  Just a shame that someone else may have a dubious claim on the property. 

We discover long hidden family secrets, and all the characters are easily believable and just seemed like good people to know, if a bit gossipy.  There is plenty of plot in this book,  loads of smiles and given the reasons that Hannah is in Cornwall could lead to a depressing book, it really wasn't.  I didn't find it overly emotional but did enjoy seeing how Hannah was able to start making a new life for herself. 

And the Boxing Day pageant just sounded like a lot of fun, as did everything going on on Christmas day.  With some worrying moments but also some grand romantic gestures this really is a book for anyone who just enjoys a good story.  

Yet the character I wanted to know a lot more about was Lizzie, she seemed at first so vulnerable but really grew as the book progressed, and I really loved seeing her coming out of her shell.  

I found my self whizzing through this page without even realising how much time had past, in fact had I been able to spare the time I would have happily read this in one sitting, and I was sorely tempted to.  I loved this book and very eager to see what the author writes next. 

Thank you Netgalley and Quercus for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...