Sunday 20 January 2019

Book Review - The Couple on Cedar Close by Anna-Lou Weatherley

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK
Title: The Couple on Cedar Close
Author: Anna-Lou Weatherley
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Bookouture
Publication Date: 18th January 2019
Rating: 5 Stars


One sunny August afternoon, the residents of Cedar Close throw their annual summer barbecue. Children play in the cherry-tree lined street, tables are laden with food, and the wine is flowing. For Laurie Mills, it’s her first time meeting the neighbours. And it’s the first time she discovers her husband Robert is having an affair.

Cedar Close has always been a nice place to live – a quiet suburban street where everyone looks out for one another and bad things don’t happen.

Until late one evening, when Robert Mills is found dead in his bedroom.

Downstairs, in their beautiful kitchen, his wife Laurie sits alone in the dark with her head in her hands. 

She can’t remember the last few hours, but she knows she didn’t kill Robert.

The trouble is, no-one believes her…

From the first few pages until the last I was utterly gripped into this story.  Just who did murder Robert, and was it really the most likely suspect his wife. 

It was good to be back with Dan Riley and his team, and I'm not firmly believing this is a series that I will wanting to follow, although this could easily be read as a standalone too - for it is a completely new case.  

I've just tried writing this review a couple of ways and each time had to press delete as I've realised there is a giant great big spoiler in what I'm saying, so clearly I can't mention anything about the plot other than it really interested me, and I was absorbed while reading it. 

There were some chapters that could be described as rather disturbing, and although I don't believe what the characters were doing was completely illegal, it could leave you with a bit of an icky feeling.   

Often in these sorts of books you may have some sympathy for the dead person, but in this case as more and more information came to light, I couldn't help but be very happy that he was a dead man, as he sounded rather unpleasant when alive. 

Within the police there seemed to be two trains of thought, one following circumstantial evidence, and the other following a gut feeling of Dan Riley. Was interesting to see the conflict within the team as most people seemed to think Dan was wrong. 

The Couple on Cedar Close is an incredibly well plotted, fascinating thriller and one I really enjoyed reading, and given I read the first 20% in bed, I'm glad it didn't disturb my sleep either. 

Thank you to Bookouture and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...