Thursday 2 May 2019

Book Review - You, Me and the Movies by Fiona Collins

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK
Title: You, Me and the Movies
Author: Fiona Collins
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Corgi
Publication Date: 4th April 2019 
Rating: 3 Stars


Two people. Ten classic films. A love story you’ll never forget.
Arden has just started university when she meets Mac – and quickly falls head over heels for the handsome, charismatic film lecturer. Their love affair is dramatic, exciting and all-consuming; the sort of thing you only see in the movies.

It couldn’t last. But thirty years later, leading a very different life, Arden is visiting a friend in hospital when she suddenly comes across the man she never forgot. Badly injured in an accident, Mac can only make brief references to the classic films they once watched together: Casablanca, A Star is Born, Pretty Woman among others… and they make Arden remember everything.

The bittersweet memories of their relationship help Arden re-connect with the world in a way she no longer thought was possible. But will a movie-worthy love ever be hers again?

A romantic, moving and inspiring love story that readers of Jill Mansell, Hilary Boyd and Maeve Haran will adore.

Well this felt completely different to previous books from Fiona Collins - it was less humorous and more real life in feel. 

If you are a big classic movie buff you will probably love this story, however I hadn't seen most of the films discussed in depth, and found I was skimming the sections where Arden and Mac were analysing the films. I just like watching films for the story and without looking for hidden messages. 

Speaking of which I'm fairly sure there is a message within this book, it felt like that sort of story, but for the life of me I couldn't quite put my fingers on it. 

Alternating between present day life for Arden, and her great love affair with Mac, thirty years earlier, we see just how life has changed her, and Mac. I enjoyed seeing how the two timelines progressed, while at the Same time just felt slightly disconnected from the book and its characters. 

I had such high hopes for this book, given how much I have previously enjoyed the author, but it just fel short for me. In places it was enjoyable, and I was getting lost in the pages and at other times, I  just wasn't as convinced. 

Thank you to Corgi and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...