Tuesday 27 August 2019

Book Review - The Hive by Jane Holland

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK
Title: The Hive
Author: Jane Holland
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Author Supplied Copy
Publisher: Thimblerig Books
Publication Date: 1st July 2019
Rating: 5 Stars


Scarred by fire from infancy, with a persistent stammer, Charlotte has always been in the shadow of her glamorous theatrical parents. So it's a shock when her mother commits suicide.

Left to care for her sick father in the dark maze of her childhood home, Charlotte begins to unravel. First, there's the mysterious arrival of a box of dead bees. Then buzzing noises in the attic. People are watching her. Listening to her.

Everyone thinks she's losing her mind. But an old photo suggests another, more sinister possibility ...

Utterly twisted, completely horrifying but oh so addictive. 

From around 50% onwards it would have been tough to prise this book out of my hands, I was completely hooked and could barely believe what I was reading.  I almost dread to think what lurks in the dark mind of Jane Holland while she writes these books! 

The first half was a fabulous set up, just enough creepy, but also plenty about the characters, especially Charlie to make you really feel for her.   There is a brilliant set of circumstances and it just all comes together in a completely unexpected way. 

I literally didn't see anything coming, I had one suspicion about one element of what was happening to Charlie, but the rest took me by surprise. 

What I spent large amounts of mental energy on, was trying to work out just how the chapters in between the chapters fitted into the story and what their real meaning would bee.  As it is obvious the author must have done a lot of research into bee-keeping, and hives  as these intersecting chapters were we to with apiary. 

Between the creepy, but incredibly apt cover, the buzzing sounds, the large mentions of bees and the  overall conclusions and twist - this is one compelling book that I'm sure will give me nightmares this evening.   It was fabulous, another brilliant book by Jane Holland. I just can't wait to see what she comes up with next. 

Thank you to the author for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...