Thursday 27 February 2020

Book Review - My Great Ex-Scape by Portia MacIntosh

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK
Title: My Great Ex-Scape
Author: Portia MacIntosh
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Boldwood Books
Publication Date: 16th January 2020
Rating: 5 Stars

What if your future was somewhere in your past?

Rosie Jones has been dumped by every boyfriend she’s ever had - most recently by Dinosaur Dave, live on TV, during the ‘phone-a-friend’ segment of a quiz show. After the footage goes viral Rosie receives a bunch of flowers with a message:
I love you, I should have never let you go, I want you back x

But who sent them?

At a loose end and with £50,000 prize money in her back pocket, Rosie decides to take a trip down memory lane, visiting each of her ex-boyfriends to see not just if they are the one who sent the flowers but if they are the one.

Her journey takes her back to the house she grew up in and on a transatlantic cruise to New York, but can Rosie figure out which ex-boyfriend is the love of her life, or should the past stay in the past?

A laugh-out-loud romantic comedy from bestseller, Portia MacIntosh. Perfect for fans of Holly Martin, Sophie Ranald and Zara Stoneley.

The second I saw that cover I knew I had to read this book, after all I do love a good cruise. And when a first chapter involves Rosie getting dumped on live TV where all she was trying to do was call him  as a "phone a friend" style life line,  well the clip goes viral.  She does win the money, but needs to escape her life at the same time. 

She ends up on a journey to revisit all her ex-boyfriends as she is convinced one of them sent her flowers in the aftermath.  

This is one hilarious book, I loved every second of it, especially the cruise, her travelling companions, the fact it was a over 55s cruise line (and she is considerably younger), some of her ex-es are wonderfully entertaining,  its just all around one addictively feel good book. 

I just couldn't get enough of this story, I even very almost missed my stop on the tube while reading, I didn't even realise I'd left the starting station and suddenly twigged I needed to get off!!  Portia MacIntosh has a way with words that really works for me. 

I love her storytelling abilities and this is one that felt really fresh to me.  The descriptions of the cruise ship all rang true to me, and I would imagine it was possibly based on a Cunard transatlantic sailing, given the way the ship was described and my impressions of Cunard!    A magnificent ship, full of activities, formal dining and just keep your eye out for the Michael Buble tribute - he is gorgeous and rather key! 

Another simply wonderful book from one of my favourite authors. 

Thank you to Boldwood and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...