Saturday 29 February 2020

Book Review - Death on the Danube by Jennifer S Alderson

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK
Title: Death on the Danube
Author: Jennifer S Alderson
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Author supplied copy
Publisher: Travelling Life Press
Publication Date: 15th November 2019
Rating: 4 Stars

Who knew a New Year’s trip to Budapest could be so deadly? The tour must go on – even with a killer in their midst…

Recent divorcee Lana Hansen needs a break. Her luck has run sour for going on a decade, ever since she got fired from her favorite job as an investigative reporter. When her fresh start in Seattle doesn’t work out as planned, Lana ends up unemployed and penniless on Christmas Eve.

Dotty Thompson, her landlord and the owner of Wanderlust Tours, is also in a tight spot after one of her tour guides ends up in the hospital, leaving her a guide short on Christmas Day.

When Dotty offers her a job leading the tour group through Budapest, Hungary, Lana jumps at the chance. It’s the perfect way to ring in the new year and pay her rent!

What starts off as the adventure of a lifetime quickly turns into a nightmare when Carl, her fellow tour guide, is found floating in the Danube River. Was it murder or accidental death? Suspects abound when Lana discovers almost everyone on the tour had a bone to pick with Carl.

But Dotty insists the tour must go on, so Lana finds herself trapped with nine murder suspects. When another guest turns up dead, Lana has to figure out who the killer is before she too ends up floating in the Danube…

Introducing Lana Hansen, tour guide, reluctant amateur sleuth, and star of the Travel Can Be Murder Cozy Mystery Series. Join Lana as she leads tourists and readers to fascinating cities around the globe on intriguing adventures that, unfortunately for Lana, often turn deadly.

The Travel Can Be Murder Cozy Mysteries are heartwarming stories about making friends, traveling, and celebrating new experiences. Also available: Book Two, Death by Baguette: A Valentine's Day Murder in Paris, and Book Three, Death By Windmill: A Mother's Day Murder in Amsterdam.

Interesting cosy mystery set to the background of a foreign country, or fabulous travel fiction which just happens to have some death and a mystery in it?  That is the question I can't quite decide on the answer to, but either way the fact remains its a really enjoyable book. 

Lana is a bit down on her luck, so when she is offered a chance to be a guide  for a 6 day Budapest, she jumps at it, even though she has never left America before.  She seems to take to this new role rather well, and had I been on that trip I'd have quite enjoyed getting to know her. 

Through Lana's eyes, we are treated to the sights and sounds of Budapest, which is a city I've never really thought about visiting, so was eager to take in all the details from the comfort of my armchair.  And from my experience visiting other Eastern European cities, I'd say the feel for the place was pretty spot on and if I was one for a city break, I would consider Budapest now, especially during Christmas market season! 

We are introduced to the various members of the tour group, as well as Carl, the other guide.  And what a mixed group of people they are, including some that are downright unpleasant, and that is before we come across people dying. 

I was a bit surprised how far into the book the death came, and then how the amateur sleuthing took place, as it felt a bit quick, which is why I'm not sure how exactly I'd describe the book other than incredibly enjoyable and kept me on my toes. However equally it meant you already had a grip on all the other key people, so could start guessing instantly as you already have a good idea about the various suspects characteristics. 

I honestly wasn't sure who the murder would turn out to be,  although given how it was all set up, I'm not entirely surprised, just kicking myself for not having come up with my own theory!! 

This was the first book I'd read by Jennifer S Alderson, and I can say with utmost certainty that I definitely want to read more, especially more of this series, as I do love a different location especially when they are described so well, and I'm curious to see how Lana's sleuthing and tour guiding skills improve. 

Thank you to the author for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful review! I'm so glad you enjoyed the trip and mystery. Budapest is definitely worth a visit! Thanks again for your interest and sharing my books with your readers!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...