Thursday 7 July 2022

Book Review - The Spa Break by Caroline James

 The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Amazon UK

Title: The Spa Break
Author: Caroline James
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: One More Chapter
Publication Date: 15th April 2022
Rating: 5 Stars

A weekend at the spa will leave four old friends with a whole lot more than they’d bargained for…

The glossy brochure promised a serene experience of total tranquillity and rejuvenation, but what best friends Bridgette, Emily, Serena and Marjory get is a weekend that upends their lives!

There for a girls’ weekend to celebrate Bridgette’s impending seventieth birthday, the spa soon has these spicy sexagenarians realising that there are unexpected benefits to age and experience, and that over the hill certainly doesn’t mean out of the game…in any respect…

What starts off as what seems like a regular weekend Spa Break between friends, and I do initially wonder how on earth this weekend will have enough going on to turn into a full book - as it was such a gentle introduction - turns into the most memorable and life changing of experiences for all four of our heroines. 

I couldn't get enough of Bridgette, Emily, Serena and Marjory who all have epiphanies of their own during the course of the book, while staying at Sparadise. 

There are so many memorable and amusing moments that I wouldn't want to spoil for you. Suffice to say that these sexagenarians confound all stereotypes about their age and I only hope I am like them when I'm older. 

Between new ways of life, finally standing up to sponging waste of space relatives, or controlling ones, or discovering at this time of life that you do in fact have a sex drive, or just want to show to the world that you are still alive and kicking in a memorable way, we have all of this and more. 

At times elements of Sparadise reminded me of Caroline James previous books, specifically Boomerville and I kept thinking Hattie and Jo would appear. But instead we have a whole brand new cast of equally fantastic characters that Caroline James is so talented at creating. 

This was amusing, had me smiling, had me inspired and generally had me loving every page, to the extent I read the second half of the book in one sitting, completely absorbed and oblivious to the mountain of work I was probably meant to be doing! 

Utterly fabulous from Caroline James, not that I would ever expect anything less. 

Thank you to One More Chapter and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...