Wednesday 19 April 2023

Book Review - Hopeful Hearts at the Cornish Cove by Kim Nash

 The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Amazon UK

Title: Hopeful Hearts at the Cornish Cove
Author: Kim Nash
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Boldwood Books
Publication Date: 30th March 2023
Rating: 4 Stars

A perfect new start in Cornwall…

Meredith's life is at a standstill. She's stuck in a dead-end job, approaching fifty, and her dating life is a string of disasters. But one evening, while browsing the internet, she sees an ad for a lighthouse, and in a moment of impulsiveness, she makes a ridiculous bid for it.

With the help of local handyman Clem, she sets about renovating. And as they work together, a bond begins to form. But when Meredith finds out that Clem is keeping a secret from her, it changes everything. Will they find a way to build something more meaningful together?

A delightful story about community, friendship and having the courage to start over, perfect for fans of Carole Matthews, Milly Johnson and Lucy Dillon


How often do you get drunk and make an impulse purchase as a result? Ok how many of you have accidentally bought a lighthouse, at the other end of the country to where you live, having never seen it before in real life?

I would be utterly shocked if you have done, I can't say the thought has ever crossed my mind, but yet that is exactly what Meredith does, and as an opening to a book it's rather memorable. 

And what a wonderful community Meredith ends up being part of, well at least her initial circle of new friends, although that can't be said of everyone in the town. 

I totally fell for Clem, it was obvious he might be hiding things, one of which I guessed, but from his initial meetings with Meredith, I was sure he was going to be important.  And so he was, in so many ways. 

I also loved getting to know Violet and Gladys and enjoyed the way that Meredith despite having met Violet initially was happy to come up with a way for her to keep her beloved pet.  And thus walking on the beach with Gladys was a regular occurence, and included some scenes that made me laugh. 

And then there is the estate agent that sold the lighthouse to Meredith and is initially then uncontactable.  Despite some of his banter, I never warmed to him and as a reader I always need to trust my instincts about characters! 

And what of this lighthouse I mentioned? It was so incredibly well described at all times, that I could see the renovations come to life so very clearly. 

With family issues to be resolved, and a brave main character starting over in a new place, and trying to be adventurous, we are treated to a lovely novel.

This was highly enjoyable and I was really entertained by the story.  After having waited so long since my last Kim Nash novel, I really hope the wait for my next is a lot shorter. 

Thank you to Boldwood Books and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...