Sunday 24 November 2019

Book Review - Alfie the Holiday Cat by Rachel Wells

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK
Title: Alfie The Holiday Cat
Author: Rachel Wells
Format reviewed: Hardback
Source: Avon sent it
Publisher: Avon
Publication Date: 16th November 2017
Rating: 5 Stars


Alfie and George just can’t seem to keep out of trouble. So when they hear that their owners have got a new holiday home, they can’t wait to visit it and enjoy some new adventures.

But when they arrive, they don’t find the comfort they’re used to. Crumbling walls, peeling paint, dripping ceilings…this little Cornish cottage is clearly on its last legs.

Family and friends rally round to try and save the cottage – but it soon becomes clear that the locals don’t want them there at all. It’s up to Alfie and George to make sure their family is welcomed into the village – that’s if they can keep out of the way of the nastiest cat they’ve ever encountered…

I can't believe it has taken me so long to finally read a book in this series.  Alfie the Holiday Cat has been staring at me on my bookshelf for about 2 years since he arrived into my home, but its taken until now to sit down and meet him properly. 

And awww how adorable are Alfie and his kitten George, and the three families they look after.  I had to keep laughing at can only be described as puppy love from George, although I can assure you it was an unrequited crush on an old cat, and not a dog, that lead him to spend his time just wanting to catch a glimpse of Chanel! 

Despite the book starting at Christmas, and the slightly festive looking cover, almost the whole book takes place over the course of a summer, and as such could easily be read at any time of the year. In fact the title is thus rather clever as I assumed the holiday cat would be Christmas holidays, and not a summer holiday! 

It took me a chapter or two to get into the swing of things, as learning the dynamics of three families when you know you haven't read the previous books of the series, is always a large number of characters to get to know but once I had an idea about them, I was incredibly happy. 

This is such a fabulous book written through a cat's eyes. I loved how Alfie felt responsible for everything, how clever he really is and how in tune his humans seemed to be with him.  From Alfie's point of view we see this new holiday home and everything that is going on, even before the humans are aware just what lengths the locals are going to to drive them away. 

And watching Alfie and George get to grips with the beach, eating ice-cream, paddleboarding are some of the sweetest and funniest things i have read in ages. 

Heartwarming, full of love and laughter, this is an incredibly adorable book that has already got me craving to read more of this series.   I really did love it and read around the last 200 pages in one sitting, when I possibly should have been doing other things. 

A purrfectly wonderful story! 

Thank you to Avon for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...