Monday 25 November 2019

Book Review - The Secret Santa by Trish Harnetiaux

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK
Title: The Secret Santa
Author: Trish Harteniaux
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Cornerstone Digital
Publication Date: 31st October 2019
Rating: 4.5 Stars

THIS YEAR, YOU'LL GET WHAT YOU DESERVE...
_____________________
A lavish party.
An isolated mansion.
Two hosts who will do anything to protect their secrets.

When husband and wife Henry and Claudine organise their company's Christmas party in a remote mansion, they expect it to be a night to remember.

But the festive mood quickly turns sour when a sinister gift is unwrapped in the Secret Santa gift exchange.

As heavy snow traps the guests inside the mountainside lodge, it quickly becomes clear that one of the party is out for revenge.

It’s no longer just about enduring the evening. It’s about making sure you get out alive.

A lavish locked-room mystery with a seasonal edge, THE SECRET SANTA is packed with twists that will keep you guessing until the very last page.

Wow I did not see that coming!! I could tell the whole book was building to something, but really wasn't sure how it would all come together and i didn't guess the actual outcome at all. 

I will freely admit this was an impulse request from Netgalley, I love Christmas books, and always curious about a clearly more sinister darker side of a festive story, so couldn't really resist it.   And it is definitely one of the smarted impulse decisions I have made. 

I've never know an office Secret Santa to be so sinister, OK, I've not known it to have this quality of gifts in it either, but this is Aspen - the playground for the rich and famous. 

And the main setting, the house in the mountains, on an incredibly snowy day, no phone signal, is just the best in terms of eerie settings for something disastrous to happen. 

The story is written in a multiple parts, and we have three viewpoints, power couple Henry and Claudine, and superstar singer who may be about to buy a house in Aspen, Zara.    We see just what this property means to all of them, and also all manner of key incidents in Henry and Claudine's past. 

I can't say I particularly warmed to either of them, but I did have a soft spot for Zara, but regardless due to the fabulous writing,  I was utterly hooked on this book.  It flowed so well, and I found that when I settled down to read, it the pages seemed to just go past so fast, and the percentage read meter went up rapidly. 

I was't really sure where the story was leading at times, and with the mention of a locked room mystery in the blurb, I was expecting that aspect to occur a lot earlier in the story and for the book to be teaming with detectives... but I was completely surprised instead by just how the scene was set and how it all seemed to work perfectly. 

This is the first book I've read by this author and I'm incredibly impressed and feel I will need to look out for more from them in the future. 

Thank you to Cornerstone on Netga for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...