Monday 16 March 2020

Book Review - The Cake Fairies by Isabella May - #HolidayReading Mexico

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK
Title: The Cake Fairies
Author: Isabella May
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Author supplied copy
Publisher: Self published
Publication Date: 10th January 2020
Rating: 5 Stars

1960's Somerset is no fun for cousins Polly and Annabelle Williams. Mourning their non-existent love lives, and the mundanity of village life, their only pleasure is baking - until a chance encounter has them magically transported to the bright lights of London... in 2019!

Promised a chance of love, first they must teach the people of the future about the simpler pleasures of life by becoming Cake Fairies. Over the course of a year they set off on a delectable tour of the UK, dropping off cakes in the most unexpected of places and replacing the lure of technology with much sweeter temptations.

But will their philanthropical endeavours lead them to everlasting love? Or will they discover you can't have your cake and eat it?

The Cake Fairies is the fifth novel by fantastical foodie author, Isabella May.

Hmm a book starting in 1969, and one that features a form of time travel, normally two things that would have me running in the opposite direction.

However I somehow knew that in Isabella May's capable hands I may just be in for a treat, and to at least go with the flow and suspend my scepticism for a bit. 

And I'm so so glad that I did, as this was a wonderful story, and at the same time a commentary on how much nicer people can be if they take their heads out of a screen for at least some of each day and interact with real people!

Cousins Polly and Anna are on a year long mission to be like the book fairies that are about but instead of doing book drops, dropping unseen large cakes to brighten up people's days. 

They are only given each days drop location and instructions that day from their big red folder, and what is clear is how much a person's day is improved by some cake. 

It is also clear that Isabella May clearly loves her cake, and this book did make me quite hungry. 

I'm also sure I spotted a cameo from one of her previous books / characters which made me smile!

Fantastically unrealistic, but at the same time totally believable, I loved watching these cousins grow, grow used to being in 2019, to seeing if they can perhaps find true love at last, and just generally enjoying seeing how they progressed on their mission. 

Very entertaining story and one that I'm glad I took a chance on. 

Thank you to the author for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...