Wednesday 4 March 2020

Book Review - Love Lettering by Kate Clayborn - #HolidayReading Mexico

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK
Title: Love Lettering
Author: Kate Clayborn
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Hodder& Stoughton
Publication Date: 4th March
Rating: 4 Stars

The thing is, the letters don't always tell me truths about myself. Sometimes they tell me truths about other people. And Reid Sutherland is - was - one of those people.

In the last year, Meg Mackworth's beautiful hand-lettering skills have seen her rocket to social media fame, and now she has a booming business crafting stationery for the stars. But she has a secret: sometimes, she just can't resist hiding messages in her work. Slightly unprofessional, maybe - but harmless. Right?

Analyst Reid Sutherland and his gorgeous fiancée had their future mapped out. Until he noticed a pattern in his wedding invitation that made him think twice.

When Meg looks up from her desk one day and sees Reid standing in front of her with no wedding ring, holding the invitation she created, she thinks that her career is over.

But her life may be about to begin . . .

Escape into a beautiful world of craft and romance that will grab hold of your heart and never let go.

What an eye opening story, I have probably never in my life thought that closely about signs, and the fonts / typefaces, style of handwriting that are on them.

Much less seen New York from the perspective of signs in various neighbourhoods. 

Yet Meg is a calligrapher, she creates designs for planners and other stationery and she is fascinated by letters. 

Reid though is a numbers man, and loves games and codes, and he spotted a hidden message in the wedding program that Meg had designed. 

Something that sparked his life going in a different direction.   And as the two of them meet and start seeing each other -with the aims of getting over creativity block and to learn to love New York, we see new sides to both characters. 

This book is pretty hard to predict, I didn't see any of that ending coming, although looking back there were perhaps clues. 

I loved the interactions between Meg and Reid, and also seeing how Meg especially developed as a person over the course of the story. 

This is the first book I've read by the author, it was a complete impulse request on Netgalley, which I'm delighted  I was approved for, as I'm positive I will be eager to read more books from this talented author in the future.  I enjoyed the writing style, but also the rather different premise, which I've not really seen before. 

Thank you to Hodder and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...