Friday 2 July 2021

Book Review - Faking It by Rebecca Smith

 The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Amazon UK

Title: Faking It
Author: Rebecca Smith
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: One More Chapter
Publication Date: 7th August 2020
Rating: 5 Stars

Meet Hannah Thompson: wife, mother, teacher and… secret erotica author?

My Guilt List:

1. If we have a date night then I’m always asleep before it’s halfway through and honestly, if I had to choose, I’d rather have a hot bath and read my book than engage in any other nocturnal activity.

2. If we do actually have you-know-what then it’s not unheard of for my mind to wander… and I’m not talking about sexy things – I’m talking about what food there is in the fridge and when the car is due for its next service.

3. I am struggling to write about anything that could be classed as even a little bit sexually adventurous which is a problem when I’m supposed to be an erotica writer and I am speaking at Sex Con in exactly one month.

With a book to publicise, Hannah has no choice but trade her M&S cardis for S&M parties, and become her writing alter-ego. What could possibly go wrong…

This is a brilliant, laugh out loud, roll your eyes, at some points rather cringeworthy, but completely and utterly brilliant! 

What a wonderful way to spend your time, between the pages of this book.  It turns out this is a sequel, but I've not read the first and I wasn't lost at all. It easily can be read as a standalone and I was shocked to discover how quickly I came to care about this family of characters. 

There was even a chapter rather early on that I felt on the verge of tears along with the characters, because the emotion of the situation just caught me so unexpectedly, and that to me is the sign of excellent writing. 

And wow Hannah has a double life as a debut humour / erotica author, and  is now trying to discover her inner sex goddess in order to write the sequel.  She is also trying to keep the truth from her children and people she works with. 

Omg so so many completely hilarious moments in this books, as well as those that I'm sure everyone will be able to relate to. 

Its' about family life, about being more than just how you are perceived by your family, and doing something just for yourself. It's about finding your inner sex goddess, and some incredibly amusing writing about the real realities of sex. 

I'm so hoping there will be another book, as there is a germ of an idea between Hannah and the other guests at her "gathering" that I would love to see them develop as would brilliant. 

From the opening chapter which is written with just the right amount of double entendre to the eye opening finale this is pure comedy gold! I loved every last moment of this story, and my only regret is that I didn't discover this author with her first book!  Ah well, I eagerly await finding out what she writes next! 

Thank you to One More Chapter and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...