Monday 12 July 2021

Book Review - The Summer Island Festival by Rachel Burton

 The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Amazon UK

Title: The Summer Island Festival
Author: Rachel Burton
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Aria
Publication Date: 4th March 2021
Rating: 5 Stars

When Willow walks out on her own wedding, there's only one place she can go: Seaview village, on the island she once called home. But she's not the only islander back for the summer...

Twelve years ago, Willow ran away to the mainland after her childhood sweetheart, Luc, betrayed her. Luc has since become a heartthrob musician, touring sold-out stadiums around the world, but he's finally come home to headline the island's annual music festival – and to win Willow back.

As Willow untangles her messy past, she stumbles on a secret that could destroy the island's fragile community – and her second chance at love...

Oh I loved this book, bringing together a gorgeous setting on The Isle of Wight, with lost love, music, various secrets to be unravelled and bonds to be formed with friends and family. 

I can't decide whose story I loved the most, Willow or Luc's present day stories which we get chapters from both of their points of view, or the chapters detailing Cathy's fascinating past, that still don't quite give away any of the key reveals until the present day characters are ready to finally reveal the truth! 

I was hooked on all of them, and loved how everything fitted together. There are loads of secrets to be uncovered, and Willow needs to work out what she is doing next with her life after walking out on her wedding. 

I don't think I've ever heard so much about Mandolins and playing them ever, It's one of those musical instruments that I'm aware exists but apart from that never given much more thought to, so think this book has done great things for Mandolin awareness. 

I loved the fight to see if the music festival would go ahead, the search to see if they could tempt a big name to headline, and just how that person fits into the personal history of various of the islanders.   I loved Willow reconnecting with herself, and her old friends. 

I just loved it all to be honest, it was just my sort of book, and its a gentle and engaging read, that afterwards had me googling "Gamble Gold" once I discovered it was real, just to see what all the fuss was about as its a song that plays a huge part in the book.  Very thankful it's not as catchy as the song I looked up after reading this authors previous book though! 

A really entertaining story that I spent a lovely time reading. 

Thank you to Aria and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like such a lovely book. So glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...