Tuesday 6 July 2021

Book Review - The Perfect Lie by Jo Spain

 The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Amazon UK

Title: The Perfect Lie
Author: Jo Spain
Format reviewed: Ebook 
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Quercus
Publication Date: 13th May 2021
Rating: 4 Stars

He jumped to his death in front of witnesses. Now his wife is charged with murder.

Five years ago, Erin Kennedy moved to New York following a family tragedy. She now lives happily with her detective husband in the scenic seaside town of Newport, Long Island. When Erin answers the door to Danny's police colleagues one morning, it's the start of an ordinary day. But behind her, Danny walks to the window of their fourth-floor apartment and jumps to his death.

Eighteen months later, Erin is in court, charged with her husband's murder. Over that year and a half, Erin has learned things about Danny she could never have imagined. She thought he was perfect. She thought their life was perfect.

But it was all built on the perfect lie.

My mind is totally blown, I did not see that coming. 

However to get to the incredibly rewarding conclusion, was a tad slow. It takes about half the book to set the scene, set in motion the various key plot lines, and give enough background so that the second half of the book can be experienced in its brilliance. 

This was a bit of a weird read for me, as a fair bit of the first part of book I had incredibly strong feelings of deja vu as I was reading that I just couldn't quite get into the swing of the book.  Once I got out of my own head and those feelings dispersed I couldn't get enough of the book. 

I literally can't say anything about the plot, knowing how it resolves as I fear I would give away hints that would ruin the surprises for you. 

Hmm what I can say is I didn't guess most of it, and have no idea how Jo Spain comes up with these fantastic plots, let alone writes them in such a way that the readers are kept on their toes. 

There are three time lines, which are all connected, although it takes a while to see how the Harvard sections fitted in to Erin's story, but it all made perfect sense once various things are revealed. 

This is another truly great book from Jo Spain, not my favourite as I felt disconnected to start with but the payoff was totally worth it to keep reading.   Definitely worth a read if you love a slow burn building up to an unpredictable climax. 

Thank you to Quercus and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...