Tuesday 20 July 2021

Book Review - What Are We Doing About Zoya? by Anisha Bhatia

 The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Amazon UK

Title: What Are We Doing About Zoya?
Author: Anisha Bhatia
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Headline Accent
Publication Date: 13th July 2021
Rating: 5 Stars


In this hilarious comedy of manners set in Mumbai, where modernity jostles with tradition, Balli Kaur Jaswal's EROTIC STORIES FOR PUNJABI WIDOWS meets Kevin Kwan's CRAZY RICH ASIANS.

Zoya is not a perfect Indian daughter. She's overweight, independent and unmarried in a society that values slim, obedient women.

And at twenty-six, she is hurtling towards her expiration date in Mumbai's arranged marriage super-mart. But when her family's matchmaking finally works, everything seems to be on the up - all until she is offered a dream job in New York City.

Zoya must now make the choice of a lifetime, but not without a few cultural casualties and, of course, an accidental love story along the way . . ..


Even when I wasn't reading i found I was wondering what Zoya and her family were up to now,  as I was completely hooked on their story. 

I always find it refreshing when reading about a different culture so loved this Bombay set book,  with not your typical stereotypical heroine.

For Zoya isn't interested in an arrangement marriage and although she will bow to the aunties and family's will and see men, its not a good process for her.

She's the wrong shade of brown, overweight and already too close to 30. And she is doing very well in her career. This is all about her pull between wanting to be a modern Indian woman and the cultural traditions expected of her.  

And as we go further into the story we start seeing all sorts of hidden depths and secrets emerge, which I loved discovering. But will Zoya marry the man that asks her, or will the lure of a job a lifetime be too much? We'll I'm not telling you. 

I also loved the way some of the dialogue is written, mimicking the sort of speech patterns you may expect from people in India. I found if I read some out loud that it felt as though I was speaking with the correct accent which is rather clever! 

This is the first book I've read by the author and thought it was fantastic.  I loved every second of the big noisy family, and would be very happy if there was a sequel.  

Thank you to Headline Accent and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

1 comment:

  1. Such a great review. I love it when and author can write dialogue where you can “hear” the accent.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...