Saturday 1 October 2016

Back Catalogue Books - Q&A with Caroline Finnerty



Back Catalogue Books is my new regular Saturday feature, focusing on books that are not the latest releases. There is going to be a mix of Q&As and also reviews, depending on what I have the space for. 

If you are an author wanting to take part in Back Catalogue Books then please do email on gilbster at gmail dot com and I'll whizz the questions over to you. 

I hope everyone enjoys this weekly look back at some of the slightly older books that are about but still great, and that I eventually make a dent in my TBRs as a result of it!

I would like to welcome Caroline Finnerty to my blog today. I have read a couple of her books in the past and thoroughly enjoyed them, so its a pleasure to be able to host her today.

1) Please tell me about your first book, and what started you writing in the first place.

My first novel is called 'In a Moment' and it is the story of two mothers and the ultimate love for their sons. I had the idea for it after I became a mother for the first time in 2009. I remember looking at my daughter when she was a few weeks old and being overwhelmed with love for her but what I then discovered came with that love is the vulnerability and constant worry that if anything should ever happen to that child how would a person ever cope? I was driving along one day when the idea for the story came to me. I started writing it while I was on maternity leave and then when I went back to work, I continued to write it in the evenings and weekends. The story wouldn't leave me.

2) How many books have you written and what are they?

I have had four books published to date, In a Moment, The Last Goodbye, Into the Night Sky and My Sister's Child.

3) Which book are you most proud of writing?

This is a hard one as they capture my feelings at a particular point in my life. I suppose my second novel 'The Last Goodbye' which tells the story of Kate Flynn; a girl who has spent her whole life running away from her past seems to have struck a chord with a fair few people. It’s a story of love and loss, forgiveness and new beginnings. I had a lot of lovely readers contact me after reading it so if you forced me, I would choose it.

4) Which book was your favourite to write?

I think probably my first novel 'In a Moment' because I was writing it purely for myself and my own enjoyment. I had no contract at the time and I can remember being excited as I reworked it and tweaked it. I enjoyed crafting it and the writing process (yes I am a weirdo :).

5) Who are your favourite characters from your books and why?

Little Jack from 'Into The Night Sky' will always hold a special place in my heart. I really felt he was my other child as I was writing it, so much so when I was in a shop one day and saw a Real Madrid jersey, I found myself thinking 'oh Jack would love that'. Anyone who has read the book will know that they are Jack's favourite team. A lot of people have said to me since they loved him too so perhaps there may be a sequel for him down the line to see how his life turned out in the end.

6) If you could go back and change anything from any of your books, what would it be, and why?

Oh dear, I'd change so much. I actually can't read my books once they're published because I know I'd find so many things I'd want to change and you'd find me curled up in a cringe-induced ball of misery. As a writer the more you write, the more your style grows and I think you just have to accept that that was your best at that time in your life.

7) Which of your covers if your favourite and why?

I've been fairly lucky with my covers to date, I loved the cover for My Sister's Child, I thought the girl in the red dress was very eye-catching.

8) Have you ever thought about changing genres, if so what else would you like to write?

I have an idea for a historical fiction novel and have started researching it but it is daunting. I'm probably procrastinating by staying at the 'research' stage for a bit too long but hopefully soon I will have the guts to start it.

9) Looking forward can you let us know what you are working on next?

I have just finished my fifth novel 'The Lies She Told'. It's the story of a single father called Aidan who discovers a letter belonging to his late wife, which has devastating consequences for him and his entire family. Now when I say finished, I've just submitted it to my agent Sallyanne Sweeney so there will probably be a bit more work to do before it's ready to go on submission.

10) I dare not ask for a favourite author, but is there any author’s back catalogue you admire and why?

I really admire Maggie O'Farrell. She always seems to get it right. She knows how to tell an emotional tale without being overly sentimental. 

11) Finally, is there anything else you would like to say about your back catalogue of books?

My stories touch on real family dilemmas and always have an emotional edge at their heart. I hope you will enjoy them.

Thank you so much Caroline for this fascinating interview. I am looking forward to your fifth novel, and hope it gets published soon. Since In A Moment is your favourite book, I have now read it, and the review is also available on Rachel's Random Reads from today. 

About Caroline Finnerty


Caroline Finnerty is the Irish author of the novels, In A Moment, The Last Goodbye, Into The Night Sky and My Sister’s Child. She also complied the charity anthology 'If I Was a Child Again' in 2013 in aid of Barnardos. Her stories touch on real family dilemmas and always have an emotional edge at their heart. She is currently working on her fifth novel, The Lies She Told. She lives in County Kildare with her husband, three young children and their dog.

You can find out more about her on www.carolinefinnerty.ie

Amazon purchase link http://www.amazon.co.uk/Caroline-Finnerty/e/B007X4NSBE/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1468358747&sr=8-2-ent

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/carolinefinnertywriter/

Twitter: @cfinnertywriter


Instagram: @carolinefinnerty

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...