Wednesday 25 January 2023

Book Review - The Lies I Tell by Julie Clark

 The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Amazon UK

Title: The Lies I Tell
Author: Julie Clark
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
Publication Date: 23rd June 2022
Rating: 5 Stars

Meg Varnum. Maggie Littleton. Meg Upton. Different names for the same person, depending on the town, depending on the job. I'm not a con artist as much as an avenger. A righter of wrongs. But nothing about me is real, other than my desire to hold men like you accountable for the things you've done.

I don't break any laws, and what I take is given willingly. I can't be blamed for how easy it is to manipulate you. It's a discipline involving confidence, cleverness, and deception. And now, I'm about to work my final trick . . . this time under my real name. Because when it's done, I want you to know who I am and remember what you did to me.

Wowsers! What a book! 

Meg might be a con artist, a grifter but her intentions are different to the average one, and her cons are so well thought out.  I absolutely loved how clever she was, how she was always many steps ahead of everyone, including the reader, and we had chapters written from her perspective. 

I loved her backstory, and the details of some of her early cons and the reason she is back in town is just understandable. 

We also have chapters from Kat, a journalist who for years has been trying to uncover the truth about Meg and all of her aliases.  And when she finally thinks she can get close to Meg she is determined to make the most of the opportunity. 

I was hooked from the first few pages until the end, just slightly regretful that I hadn't been in a position to read it in one sitting, but I was trying to grab any moment to read just a bit more.  I just wasn't sure what Meg's end game was, and I had no clue how to guess how Kat's story would play out. 

I am though delighted with both of the conclusions and I really enjoyed Meg's self awareness of what she was doing, and all the tips she gave us on how to pull off a good con.  It's fascinating and brilliant and I just loved it. 

Thank you to Hodder & Stoughton and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...