Tuesday 31 January 2023

The Monthly Paper....back Mini Reviews #1

For the past few years, every January I have said over the upcoming year that I wish to read more paperbacks over the course of the year and every year I fail to reach any of my physical books when I have the ease of my kindle. 

So this year I'm trying things a bit differently and I've decided that if I'm going out then I can read a paperback on the tube, and I'm also hoping to have one on the go at all times, to be read in bed.  I've bought a USB clip on reading light, so I don't have to get out of a warm comfy bed to turn off the light once I'm done reading which I think was putting me off in the past.  

The hope being that if I read a small amount each night, I may read a book in a week or so - but deep down I know the longer I spend reading a book the less I tend to write in a review, so I'm going to try and do this - a monthly digest of mini reviews of the paperbacks I read each month. 

I'm hoping this will mean that I also read more books that I I think mum would enjoy (although I'm only confident about one of these for her), that I fancy too, but haven't read, and hopefully will get more from my shelves to her in the care home, on a more regular basis.  Plus means I'll most likely be reading in paperback form, non specific review books, which will be a nice change. 

January Mini Review #1 - The Black Dress by Deborah Moggach - 5 Stars

Amazon UK

 Well this is a book that once it got going, had me exclaiming or mouthing WTF multiple times.  I couldn't believe the number of twists that I never saw coming. 

 I've read books from this author before and this one took a much darker turn than I was expecting, while at the same time, a points reminded me of the scenes in The Wedding Crashers (film), where they consider crashing a funeral. 

 For this does feature a funeral crasher, and as a result meets some rather interesting men, while Prudence deals with her husband having left her for her best friend.   You can't help but feel sorry for Prudence at times, while simultaneously wondering what on earth she really doing.   It's a cracking story that kept me on my toes, and I really devoured it.  



January Mini Review #2 - The Great Escape from Woodlands Nursing Home - 5 Stars

Amazon UK

 I couldn't get enough of Hattie and Walter, two incredibly different people with the a big thing in common -they both want to go back to their own homes and no longer be kept captive at Woodlands Nursing Home. 

The staff seem to care more about box ticking health and safety, than just what the residents may need, with the exception of Sister Bronwyn and her Night Owls. 

With Hattie learning how to interact with other people, she is far more used to observing birds and being a loner, and Walter determined to pass his mobility scooter test - there are all manner of antics going on. 

And the escape mentioned in the title - it really was great and brought a huge smile to my face.  This is the first book I've read from this author but given how much I loved the style, writing and content and kept wanting to read just one more page, it certainly won't be my last.  

 

January Mini Review #3 - A Glasgow Kiss by Sophie Gravia - 4 Stars 

Amazon UK
This is a real, gritty, no holds barred, dating story, that describes things as they really happen, and not the often more cleaner version for fiction.  This includes things like messy period sex, something you just don't see in any other book, but made me like Zara all the more as a result, as these are situations that can and will happen to any modern girl. 

She is a kick ass heroine, who has her own needs and isn't afraid to go after what she wants.  I loved Zara, although not so keen on her choice of men. 

If you want to read some incredibly realistic fiction, then this is the book for you.  Expect bad language, the nitty gritty of sex and the thoughts associated with it, which is all things that added to the appeal for me. I'm already keen to read the sequel and find out just what Zara gets up to next. 



January Mini Review #4 - The Hardest Fall by Ella Maise - 4 Stars 

Amazon UK
This book made me laugh out loud on multiple occasions and the first meeting between Zoe and Dylan was particularly memorable. 

 I loved all of Zoe's character quirks, and was intrigued by the various storylines running through the book. Including Zoe and Mark's story. 

There are moments in this that are far grittier than I had been anticipating and one scene that is memorable but you have to wish it hadn't been necessary, for the poor character, who I felt rather sorry for, as nobody deserves what they had to go through in that. 

Apart from that I had a lot of fun reading this and the chemistry between Zoe and Dylan was phenomenal, and yet having the book from both their points of view, you could see their doubts too which just made them all the more human. 

Very enjoyable story from an author I had never heard of until I saw this book. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...