Wednesday 22 April 2015

Book Review - The Lie by C.L. Taylor

Amazon UK
Title: The Lie
Author: C. L. Taylor
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Avon
Publication Date: 23rd April 2015 
Rating: 5 Stars


This was no accident…

Haunting, compelling, this psychological thriller will have you hooked. Perfect for fans of Gone Girl and Daughter.

I know your name’s not really Jane Hughes . . .

Jane Hughes has a loving partner, a job in an animal sanctuary and a tiny cottage in rural Wales. She’s happier than she’s ever been but her life is a lie. Jane Hughes does not really exist.

Five years earlier Jane and her then best friends went on holiday but what should have been the trip of a lifetime rapidly descended into a nightmare that claimed the lives of two of the women.

Jane has tried to put the past behind her but someone knows the truth about what happened. Someone who won’t stop until they’ve destroyed Jane and everything she loves . . .

If you have ever had the misfortune of  your holiday turning into a "holiday from hell", then when you read this book you will be delighted that is wasn't as bad as Jane's.  When Jane and her friends went to Nepal, to a retreat, it was meant to be a "holiday of a lifetime", but it turned into a living nightmare.

The Lie is told, in both the present day, and also we get the details of the holiday to Nepal, imparted to us slowly throughout the book. Everything is from Jane's perspective, and in the case of the trip, and the details of want went on at the retreat, a lot of it makes incredibly harrowing and terrifying reading.  

The Lie starts when, during her normal working day at the animal rescue centre, she receives a note saying "I know your name's not really Jane Hughes". This terrifies Jane, as in fact her name was not originally Jane Hughes, but she had taken on a new identity for reasons that become very clear.  Jane has forged a new life for herself, including a boyfriend Will, and his daughter Chloe (who is an adorable child). 

Trust is a key concept in this story. Who exactly can Jane trust, and who could she trust 5 years ago.  Friendships are torn apart, and terrible things occur. However someone else knows the truth, and they are determined to destroy Jane's new life. 

The writing is just the right mix between descriptive narrative, and action, and I found it to be fast paced. No sooner have you absorbed one shocking piece of information, another comes along. I had no clue at all, that it would end the way it did, and I must say its nice not to read a completely predictable book. 

I feel I need to give you a few warnings about this book:- Only read The Lie when you have enough time to sit and read large chunks of it in one go, you really won't want to put it down. In addition, if you have a slightly nervy disposition, don't read it while on public transport. A door slammed while I was on my way home, completely absorbed in The Lie, and I jumped out of my skin, and was worried the old man walking past that had caused met  jump, would attack me. I was so engrossed in The Lie, I for a few mins couldn't tell the difference between real life and the immensely immersive story.  I felt like I was there in Nepal with the four friends, and what they were feeling, I was feeling. I honestly don't think a book has ever had me hooked that deeply before this one. 

If you only read one psychological thriller this quarter, than make sure it is The Lie. You won't be disappointed.

The Lie is out on Thursday.

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I'm planning on starting this tonight...sounds like it'll end up being a late one and I should definitely leave the lights on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope you enjoy The Lie as much as I did. If you start it too late tonight, don't plan on being productive tomorrow! Let me know what you think.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...