Sunday 14 February 2016

Book Review - Pompidou Posse by Sarah Lotz - Winning Reads #6 - Paris Weekend

Winning Reads #6
Welcome back to my new feature, Winning Reads. This is the sixth book I have picked to read for this feature, and I'm delighted that I am enjoyed the books I have chosen so far, as it must mean I am winning some really good books!

  As I enter a large amount of competitions for books, and have a reasonable degree of luck, over the past year or two, my paperback mountain has grown out of control mainly due to being a bit lucky, and then not remembering to pick the books up and read them. 

Now I have a blog, I find it harder to not just stick the the brand new shiny releases the whole time, but I do want to read all these other books, so while I have a stash of them, here is Winning Reads, my new weekly feature for Sundays.

Amazon UK
Title: Pompidou Posse
Author: Sarah Lotz
Format reviewed: Paperback
Source: Competition Win
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
Publication Date: 10th September 2015
Rating: 4 Stars


Paris is eternal. Art is love. Friendship is forever. Except when it isn't.

You're seventeen. One night, more or less by accident, you set fire to a garden shed.
Naturally, you pack up and run off to Paris, certain you can make enough money off your art to get by. You're young, you're talented, you're full of life, and you have your best friend in all the world by your side.

What could possibly go wrong?

Pompidou Posse is a gritty, hard hitting drama, and offers you a completely different view of Paris to one that you would expect. It is set in the late 1980s, and features two runaways Vicki and Sage, who having burnt down the shed at art college, are now scared and on the run. 

This features their time in Paris, and various people they meet, and it is not a feel good book. It feels incredibly realistic, and the experiences they girls have, are not ones I would wish on anyone. On the other hand we do get from their perspective a good look at what Paris was like in the 80s, and what they think of people that are sleeping rough.

Pompidou Posse is a book that was definitely out of my regular reading realms, but yet I found I was entranced by what was going on. I was thinking about it during the day at work, and suspect it will be on my mind for days afterwards. 

 The story progresses from both Vicky and Sage's view points, although Vicky is more about the present, where as Sage is present as a series of journal entries. Pompidou Posse is definitely worth reading, and I found it to be fascinating and well written.

Thank you to the Goodreads: First Reads programme for this advance copy. This was my honest opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...