Tuesday 24 May 2016

Book Review - The Little Bookshop of Lonely Hearts by Annie Darling

Amazon UK
 Title: The Little Bookshop of Lonely Hearts
Author: Annie Darling
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Harper
Publication Date: 19th May 2016
Rating: 5 Stars


Once upon a time in a crumbling London bookshop, Posy Morland spent her life lost in the pages of her favourite romantic novels.

So when Bookend’s eccentric owner, Lavinia, dies and leaves the shop to Posy, she must put down her books and join the real world. Because Posy hasn’t just inherited an ailing business, but also the unwelcome attentions of Lavinia’s grandson, Sebastian, AKA The Rudest Man In London™.

Posy has a cunning plan and six months to transform Bookends into the bookshop of her dreams – if only Sebastian would leave her alone to get on with it. As Posy and her friends fight to save their beloved bookshop, Posy’s drawn into a battle of wills with Sebastian, about whom she’s started to have some rather feverish fantasies…

Like her favourite romantic heroines, will she get her happy ever after too?

Pretty much all I need to say is if you love books, bookshops and a hint of romance with a man that needs reforming, then you will love The Little Bookshop of Lonely Hearts, so just pick up a copy now, and start reading, you won't be disappointed. I certainly wasn't....

.....

...Oh you're still here? What do you mean you want a proper review? Really do I have to?...

...

Seriously I have already summed up that I think its a brilliant book, it was a delight to read, and loves of romance books will love Posy's plan's for Bookends. Then again if you love crime you will love Sebastian's plans for the shop, and lets just say neither person is particularly willing to back down. 

It is clear from the start that Posy loves her books, as does the author, as it really shines through to her characters, and I love novels set in bookshops. This is a bookshop that is in a reasonably familiar to me part of London, and I could really picture what it looked lie, and what a treasure trove of goodies it must contain. 

Of course nothing is going to be smooth sailing so the presence of Sebastian Thorndyke, who Posy had a crush on as a child, who is now the rudest man in London, who so happens to have inherited the rest of Lavinia's estate and is trying his hardest to out maneuver Posy for the bookshop. However as they exchange witty banter on multiple occasions, Posy starts to have fantasies about him, in regency style. 

I'm sorry to say I didn't really read the fantasy pages as I could guess what they would say but not a huge fan of that style, and I don't think I missed out on any part of the story, just by skipping it. I did though read every single word in the rest of the book and found the whole experience was like having a big hug, its a warm hearted, comforting sort of stories, and really will appeal to book lovers. 

It is the sort of book that I was very upset that my lunch break was over, as I would have much rather spent the rest of the day, reading this story, as it was I made the decision to read while holding onto my kindle, while standing up on the rush hour tube, as I needed to continue with the story. And it's rare that I read and stand at the same time!  

This is a very accomplished debut story and I can't wait for the next book of the series, although I feel I may have to! 

Thanks to Netgalley and Harper for this review copy. This was my honest opinion. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...