Monday 1 October 2018

Book Review - Lies Between Us by Ronnie Turner

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK
Title: Lies Between Us
Author: Ronnie Turner
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: HQ Digital
Publication Date: 1st October 2018
Rating: 4 Stars


Will they ever learn the truth?
Three people, leading very different lives, are about to be brought together – with devastating consequences . . .

John has a perfect life, until the day his daughter goes missing.

Maisie cares for her patients, but hides her own traumatic past.

Miller should be an innocent child, but is obsessed with something he can’t have.

They all have something in common, though none of them know it – and the truth won’t stay hidden for long . . .

A gripping psychological thriller for fans of Clare Mackintosh, Shari Lapena and Lisa Jewell.

A solid debut novel from an author that I have been looking forward to reading. 

I had been cautious going into this, purely as I find psychological thrillers that have lies as a main thread (or important enough to the story to be in the title), normally don't agree with me, but as I had wanted to read the author, I thought I would give it a go regardless. 

Outside of some mild confusion referring to the lies and wondering for large parts of the book just how it all would fit together, I loved everything else. 

There are three distinct story threads, focusing on in two cases the nightmare their lives currently are, and the other tells the tale of a young mans past, of him being obsessed, of him putting on a good boy front, once he realised it would get him further than being his truly wicked self.  

And it was this thread that actually held me interest the most, as I sort of had to know two what lengths he would go to, and the incidents highlighted from throughout his childhood, paint him as a monster. 

Whereas in the other chapters, we have a intensive care nurse, who is bonding with her latest patient's family, a man in a vegetative state, and the wife and young child barely holding things together. 

Then there is the man whose family is experiencing the worst thing ever, their little girl has been taken,  no one even the police can work out where or why, and slowly photos with notes referring to the mans past, arrived signed by the daughter, which ramps up the tension and despair levels. 

All three of the stories could easily have a a whole book devoted to just them, but instead the author weaves a tale that means you need all of these parts and that as the book progresses becomes more and more gripping to read. 

At the start of each chapter or section there is a time stamp and date, and it took me a while to get used to the different dates and years, as the view points alternate. 

This is a great starting block for this author's career and from what I have read I can only believe she will go from strength to strength, and I know I am eager to see what her next release brings. 

Thank you to Netgalley and HQ Digital for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...