Tuesday 8 September 2020

Book Review - The Last Charm by Ella Allbright

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Title: The Last Charm
Author: Ella Allbright
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: One More Chapter 
Publication Date: 21st August 2020
Rating: 5 Stars

Leila’s charm bracelet tells a story of love, a story of loss, a story of hope.

This is the story of her… and the story of Jake.

When Leila Jones loses her precious charm bracelet and a stranger finds it, she has to tell the story of how she got the charms to prove she’s the owner. Each and every one is a precious memory of her life with Jake.

So Leila starts at the beginning, recounting the charms and experiences that have led her to the present. A present she never could have expected when she met Jake nearly twenty years ago…

I had no pre-conceptions about this story, and even as I was reading, wasn't completely sure what direction it would ultimately take.  For which I'm delighted and think its the best way to go into this story - so that you can experience it fully, without any hints of the specifics in advance. 

And in saying that, it makes writing this review a whole lot harder!

This is the story of Leila and her charm bracelet.  She is recounting exactly how each charm came into her life,  and so we see her grow up from age 10, up to present day.  We go through highs and lows with her, and although we are only getting snapshots of her at various ages and points in her life, you feel like you get to know her incredibly well. 

I love how  this isn't flashbacks interspersed with present day - there is a short intro which is a valid way of explaining why we are getting the story of each charm, and then that isn't referred to again, until it is relevant towards the end. 

So it really is watching Leila and her friends and family grow up.  There are characters that appear in most chapters, and there is one particular person who is very present in this book besides Leila.  And it is the parallel of both of their stories and seeing how they both develop that fascinated me. 

I found this to be a really gentle read, it was a book I was always delighted when I could pick it back up, and lose myself within the next instalment of Leila's life.  I'm  very impressed that a book about a charm bracelet could develop the way it did, and I absolutely adored everything about this story. 

There are ups and downs, definitely some emotional bits but also some sections that will make you smile.  I don't want to say much more other than this book is very well written, it had me completely engaged with it, and I'm very much looking forward to Ella Allbright's next book as I know I need to read more by her.

Thank you to One More Chapter and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...