Tuesday 28 February 2023

The Monthly Paper....back Mini Reviews #2

 For the past few years, every January I have said over the upcoming year that I wish to read more paperbacks over the course of the year and every year I fail to reach any of my physical books when I have the ease of my kindle. 

So this year I'm trying things a bit differently and I've decided that if I'm going out then I can read a paperback on the tube, and I'm also hoping to have one on the go at all times, to be read in bed.  I've bought a USB clip on reading light, so I don't have to get out of a warm comfy bed to turn off the light once I'm done reading which I think was putting me off in the past.  

The hope being that if I read a small amount each night, I may read a book in a week or so - but deep down I know the longer I spend reading a book the less I tend to write in a review, so I'm going to try and do this - a monthly digest of mini reviews of the paperbacks I read each month. 

I'm hoping this will mean that I also read more books that I I think mum would enjoy (although I'm only confident about one of these for her), that I fancy too, but haven't read, and hopefully will get more from my shelves to her in the care home, on a more regular basis.  Plus means I'll most likely be reading in paperback form, non specific review books, which will be a nice change. 

Well we are into month two of this and I'm still going, I only read 7 paperbacks in the whole of 2022 as far as I can tell, and at the point I've written this intro I'm already on 5 for 2023 so this may actually be working. 

Oh and Happy Birthday to me as I enter the last year of my 30s! 

February Mini Review #1 - The Secret Diary of a New Mum (aged 43 1/4) by Cari Rosen - 4 Stars

 
Amazon UK
I laughed out loud many times while reading this real, eye opening account of motherhood, when you are regarded as a geriatric mother.  It's filled not just with Cari's thoughts but also that of her friends and family, and gives a great look at life as a new mum when you are slightly older. 

And the antics of the child in this book are hilarious, and the things she comes out with at such a young age is either surprising to me or this is one genius child! 

This was thoroughly enjoyable and I kept wanting to go back to it to read on.  I don't read non fiction often and I hadn't realised until I started reading that this was real and not fictional, but I'm glad I read it, as I was certainly entertained. 



February Mini Review #2 - That Time I Got Kidnapped by Tom Mitchell - 5 Stars


What a breath of fresh air this book was over my normal books, it was just what I needed to read something rather different. 

It's a really great adventure for Jacob who is meant to be going to Hollywood to appear in a super hero movie, but after missing a flight, he ends up on an epic trip across America, without any clue where he is going, how and ending up in all sorts of situations, mainly due to Jennifer. 

At times really funny, others just gripping, this was a very enjoyable story to read, and I found myself wanting to go to bed each night just so I could read a bit more of this book.  Admittedly I'm not the target age for this book, but I could imagine young people would thoroughly enjoy it too, just like I did.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...