Monday 27 March 2023

Book Review - One Down by Diana Wilkinson - #HolidayReading Mexico

 The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Amazon UK

Title: One Down
Author: Diana Wilkinson
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Boldwood Books
Publication Date: 16th January 2023
Rating: 4 Stars

I’m not being paranoid. It’s all there in the crossword clues…in black and white. There’s no doubt the threat is real. Today, the answers spell out my murder.
May Third. Amanda. Silver Birch. Noontime. Assassination.

Is Nathan, my estranged crossword-setter husband, really planning to kill me? Or is it someone closer to home?

I check the door is bolted, slither to the ground, and count down the seconds to noon. There’s nothing left to do, and no one I can call. Who’d believe me anyway? The lady on the ground floor has already left the building, and my new boyfriend is on holiday. Or is he?

A tread of footsteps. A rap at the door, and I close my eyes, hold my breath...

A smart and unsettling psychological thriller, perfect for fans of Lisa Jewell, Shari Lapena and Claire Douglas

I was attracted to this book from it's rather intriguing blurb, plus the fact that I also love puzzles. 

What I wasn't expecting was that is was written by a true cryptic crossword puzzle fan, and even explains how to solve all manner of clues (most of which went a bit over my head, until the clue was explained). 

It is completely fascinating, and having a crossword puzzle creator as one of the main characters jobs was rather interesting. 

Amanda is completely convinced that the local puzzles are targeting her, and once you see the evidence it's hard not to believe that too.

Beyond the puzzle there is a theme of addiction, and recovering from addiction, and it is a lot deeper than I would have expected - not a bad thing, just pleasantly surprising. 

And wow I didn't see the finale coming at all, my mind is just a bit blown, and I found myself addicted to having to continue to the end of the book, just to see how things might turn out. 

This was the first book I've read by this author and I suspect I will be on the look out to see what she writes next.

Thank you to Boldwood Books and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...