Monday 11 January 2016

Book Review - Dead Lucky by Matt Brolly

Amazon UK
Title: Dead Lucky
Author: Matt Brolly
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Carina
Publication Date: 11th January 2016
Rating: 3 Stars


DCI Michael Lambert is back…

When a woman is murdered, the twisted killer forcing her husband to watch her slow and painful death, DCI Michael Lambert knows that his next case might be his toughest yet.

And when a second set of killings are discovered, with exactly the same MO, the race is on the find the lethal sociopath before he strikes again.

But Lambert never expected to receive an anonymous call from the killer. This time, it’s personal: if Lambert doesn’t find the murderer soon, his own loved ones will be next…

Having really enjoyed Dead Eyed, Matt Brolly's debut, I had been looking forward to getting a copy of Dead Lucky. However I felt this was a weaker book, and just not as gripping or addictive. 

The only time I found I was compelled to keep reading without a doubt, was the last 10% where the adrenalin starts pumping, but even then, I found that was only a few pages, and then when out with a bit of a whimper. Unfortunately I found the ending rather abrupt and felt I would have liked some sort of either summing up of lose ends, or even those dreaded words of "to be continued" as then I would know there is more to the series, to possibly answer a few questions. 

The story took quite a while to get going, and I found myself struggling to really get into this book. It just didn't have the level of drama I would have liked, and felt in places it almost felt quite repetitive (probably quite accurate for police work, but still frustrating to read). 

I do like DCI Michael Lambert as a character, and some of his colleagues too are interesting, and for those reasons I would be happy to read more of this series. I suspect it may just be that this particular case wasn't right for me. 

Dead Lucky would definitely work as a standalone, although as I personally think that Dead Eyed was better, I would perhaps suggest start there with this series. 

Thank you to Netgalley and Carina for this review copy. This was my honest opinion. 

Happy Publication day to Matt Brolly. Dead Lucky is out now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...