Sunday 31 January 2016

Book Review - No Other Darkness by Sarah Hilary - Winning Reads #4

Winning Reads #4
Welcome back to my new feature, Winning Reads. This is the fourth week of this feature, and this time I went for No Other Darkness, reading it straight after Someone Else's Skin which you the majority of you picked for me to read a few weeks ago on Rachel Reads Randomly. Thank you again, for making me read this a lot sooner than I may have otherwise. 

  As I enter a large amount of competitions for books, and have a reasonable degree of luck, over the past year or two, my paperback mountain has grown out of control mainly due to being a bit lucky, and then not remembering to pick the books up and read them. 

Now I have a blog, I find it harder to not just stick the the brand new shiny releases the whole time, but I do want to read all these other books, so while I have a stash of them, here is Winning Reads, my new weekly feature for Sundays.

Amazon UK
Title:  No Other Darkness (DI Marnie Rome Book 2)
Author: Sarah Hilary
Format reviewed: Paperback
Source: Competition Win
Publisher: Headline
Publication Date: 23rd April 2015
Rating: 5 Stars


Two young boys.
Trapped underground in a bunker.
Unable to understand why they are there.
Desperate for someone to find them.
Slowly realising that no-one will...

Five years later, the boys' bodies are found and the most difficult case of DI Marnie Rome's career begins.

Her only focus is the boys. She has to find out who they are and what happened to them.

For Marnie, there is no other darkness than this...

I can't believe it has taken me so long to discover the brilliance of Sarah Hilary and her DI Marnie Rome series. I was worried that book one may have been a fluke, but it wasn't, there is definitely a consistency in the quality of her writing, and getting inside the minds of various characters, both detective and criminal. 

This was all about a very chilling crime. Someone had left 2 young children in an underground bunker, with some supplies, and they were only found five years later. Without any ID and without them being instantly recognisable as missing people, it is a very tricky case for DI Marnie Rome. 

We get to know Marnie a lot more in this second book, as well as her partner Nathan (and his personal life), and there is also a new person on Marnie's team, but I haven't really decided how much I like her. 

Although this is a sequel it can definitely be read as a standalone book. There are a few references to the previous case, but it doesn't have any direct relevance to this one. I am not sure though that I would call these books thrillers. I think they are fabulous crime, and police procedurals, with a good some perspective as well from the villain's point of view. 

I love getting into the mindset of the bad guy, as it shows just how frightening other people's mindsets can be. 

Part 2 was definitely better than Part 1 which a pattern I'm noticing, having read the two books in this series in two days. that part 1 sets up the book, and keeps you intrigued and then the whole of part 2 is unputdownable and climaxes to a fabulous conclusion. 

No Other Darkness is a chilling tale, deals with mental illness, and takes you on a thrilling journey of London's underground secrets. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...