Friday 25 May 2018

Book Review - Island Life Sentence by Carrie Jo Howe

Amazon UK
Title: Island Life Sentence
Author: Carrie Jo Howe
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Author supplied copy
Publisher: Unbound
Publication Date: 6th March 2018
Rating: 3 Stars


Peg Savage has contractually agreed to move to Key West, Florida. The smudged signatures on the damp cocktail napkin are irrefutable proof. "An adventure..." her husband Clark says. Peg can't swim; she's afraid of bridges (there are 42 of them); and she doesn't want to leave her friends. However, after a bottle of Cabernet, a move from Chicago to the southernmost city in the United States seems like the best decision ever. But now Clark has taken a long term job in Cuba and she's on her own. Neither her dog Nipper, nor the ghosts in the attic, offer up any good advice. But how hard can it be living in paradise? Peg dives into island life but the more effort she makes, the wider her wake of catastrophes. 

This was a reasonable easy book to read once I got into the swing of it, and thankfully it wasn't too long.  For although I did sort of enjoy reading it, I also found myself rolling my eyes more and more at the book. 

I really wasn't keen on Peg the main character, she was whiny, spineless, seemed scared of everything and despite moving across country on her husbands wishes, she just had no real oomph about her for most of the book.  That being said she was responsible for all the funny moments in the book while she tries to break out of her comfort zone and tries to make friends. 

There are some fabulous descriptions of Key West, and I did believe Peg was genuinely frightened at various points, especially of storms and hurricanes and water, and the scenes that involved her seeing possible ghosts were a bit freaky. 

However for anyone that knows me, I do love animals in books, and Nipper and his new friend Lulu are fabulous dogs, and I loved the interactions between their owners too. 

Island Life Sentence is a pleasant way to spend a few hours reading a book, and if you know nothing about life in Key West, or what Cuba is like then you will most probably love this book.  Had I felt more empathy with Peg I may have enjoyed it a lot more. 

Thank you to the author for supplying a copy of this book which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...