Thursday 13 September 2018

Book Review - Return to the Little Cottage on the Hill by Emma Davies

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK
Title: Return to the Little Cottage on the Hill
Author: Emma Davies
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Bookouture
Publication Date: 31st August 2018
Rating: 4 Stars


The climb up the hill takes her past sweet-smelling pink roses in full bloom and leads her to an utterly breathtaking view. Megan is happy to be home at last, but will her relationship have survived the journey? 

It has been a difficult few years for thirty-year-old Megan Forrester, completing her apprenticeship and trying to maintain a long-distance relationship with her gorgeous boyfriend, Liam.

She’s returned home to compete in a local craft competition. The prize is the chance to design beautiful new gates for the estate at the bottom of the hill, a job which could secure her future in the village forever.

As the contest gets underway, Megan is devastated when a rival design turns out to be almost identical to hers. Someone in the close-knit community must have leaked her sketches, but who? Is it the same person spreading heartbreaking rumours about Liam?

Down to the last few left in the competition, Megan throws her heart and soul into a show-stopping final piece… but will winning even matter when the truth about Liam is finally revealed?

I'm not sure what I can say about this that I haven't already said about the first two books in this series. It was a such a joy to back at Joy Acres with Maddie, Seth, Tom, Clara and Trixie it felt as though i was returned home. 

For despite what the blurb says to me Clara is the main character of this book, of the main people that are at Joy Acre, it is her turn to find romance, and to go on a journey of self discovery.  I am not sure how much thought I had given to her before this book, other than in a supporting role, but I now feel as though I know her a whole lot better. 

The story takes in her friendship with Trixie and how it all changes when a TV producer comes to town and wants to make the pair of them stars of a cooking and gardening show. 

So who is the Megan that the blurb focuses on you may ask? Well she is staying at Joy Acre farm and taking part in the blacksmithing contest held up the the big manor house owned by Agatha who featured in the first book of the series. 

Some chapter did focus on Megan and I found the blacksmithing contest interesting as its a skill I have never really thought about until this book and the finale to her storyline was incredibly gripping.  I just didn't feel as connected to her. 

It was fabulous to catch up with old friends and this book could easily be read as a standalone.  It was lovely to see a bit more of Agatha and my feelings towards her have softened with how she is in this book.    I really enjoyed reading this book, given how familiar the setting and characters are now it made the pages zoom past until I ran out! 

This is another great addition to the series and I am eagerly awaiting the next book which I hope will give Trixie a love interest!  

Thank you to Bookouture and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...